PDA

View Full Version : we love ubuntu but ...

teknojunkey
July 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
hello everybody, we have just migrated to ubuntu desktop from XP
After using the server edition for a file server and web development server for about 3 years we thought we would take the plunge onto the desktop now that the LTS version has been released, we are a web design company from Glasgow (http://www.crocodile-communication.com) if you hadn't guessed !

Anyway the server edition has been fantastic for us for all these years but moving the desktops has been bit of an issue mostley on the software front if anyone can recommend an alternative for the following applications i would appreciate it.

1. clipx - a windows tool for multiple clipboard copy and paste
2. JRuller - a tool for measuring pixels on screen
3. notepad ++ - we are using gedit which is OK ... is there another option

I guess the moderator will hate this jumping from topic to topic but for some reason i cannot post to all the forums ??

Evolution mail ... whats going on with the HTML email rendering !!! this is a real problem for us as we send some spam emails to our clients now and again, I now have Thunderbird installed side by side, mental !!!

Finally about twice a day gnome crashes, or something does ... this makes nautilus partially revert to the default style .. the address (location) bar, file browser window and the places (left column) whats going on here ?

anyway the whole transition wasnt so bad after all, we still have to have XP installed via vitualbox for adobe stuff but on the whole the whole process was fairly pain free.

we love you :)

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM

too many to name. Try SCiTE for starters.

Simian Man
July 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I use one called clipman, but I think it is for Xfce. There are several others though.

I use one called screenruler, which works well.

Like RiceMonster said there are a ton of text editors. I use gvim, but that has a bit of a learning curve as does emacs. I think Kate is the best of the easy to use ones.

ac_d600
July 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM

1. http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Glipper
2. http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Screen+Ruler

medic2000
July 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
3- Try "Geany". Great and very very lightweight. Or the legendary editor "vim".

If you want a heavier one go and install "Eclipse"

Mr. Picklesworth
July 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM

For #1, Parcellite is a popular choice.
One thing you'll want to know is there are two clipboards: one for last selected text, one for the usual copy & paste. So you can select some text, then middle click somewhere to copy that selection.

For #3, I actually pretty well swear by Gedit. Most of its programming-related functionality is in optional plugins (which are all turned off by default), so check out Edit›Preferences›Plugins if you haven't already.

Otherwise, Scribes is my favourite thing for Python. It is very unusual, but some odd people (me included) really love it.

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I use gvim, but that has a bit of a learning curve as does emacs.

Or the legendary editor "vim".

The only reason I didn't reccomend vim is because as Simian Man said, the learning curve. Kate is a good choice too. Kate and SCiTE probably feel the most similar to Notepad++.

teknojunkey
July 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
thanks for the advice on the tools it really helps

using ubuntu on a work machine what's wrong with that ? i have been using the server edition for years without any problems everything seems to be fine on the desktop .. ill stick with it for now.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I guess we're off to figuring out why “Gnome keeps crashing.” I'll assume it's a particular component. Is it maybe gnome-settings-daemon? When that happens, usually all the UI widgets will revert to their plain default style, which looks really horrifically ugly.
To be honest, that was happening to me a bit early in Lucid's life. That may have been before the final release, actually, but to be sure we are on the same page: are there any updates to install?

madjr
July 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM
anyway the whole transition wasnt so bad after all, we still have to have XP installed via vitualbox for adobe stuff but on the whole the whole process was fairly pain free.

welcome aboard :)

yea it was much harder when i started like 3 years ago, it just gets better and better.

mikewhatever
July 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Finally about twice a day gnome crashes, or something does ... this makes nautilus partially revert to the default style .. the address (location) bar, file browser window and the places (left column) whats going on here ?

Gnome is a Desktop Environment, an abstract concept, if you like. How can such a thing crash? Terminology aside, perhaps whatever crashes does so because of the non-default customizations, which are implied in your post. Can you elaborate on what happens exactly and what styles and customizations are in use.

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM
welcome aboard :)

yea it was much harder when i started like 3 years ago, it just gets better and better.
Yes it was...

If you're a web design company I would recommend bluefish. It's a text editor built for web design with a plethora of useful features, I use it for all my web design work. If you don't like it I'd recommend emacs. Too many features for a text editor to count (I use it not only to code but to read my email and rss feeds!), it's remarkably low on resources, and if I had to describe it I'd call it more of an operating system than a text editor. Not for beginners though, very steep learning curve. Bluefish is fairly easy to learn though.

MaxIBoy
July 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
hello everybody, we have just migrated to ubuntu desktop from XP
After using the server edition for a file server and web development server for about 3 years we thought we would take the plunge onto the desktop now that the LTS version has been released, we are a web design company from Glasgow (http://www.crocodile-communication.com) if you hadn't guessed !

Anyway the server edition has been fantastic for us for all these years but moving the desktops has been bit of an issue mostley on the software front if anyone can recommend an alternative for the following applications i would appreciate it.

1. clipx - a windows tool for multiple clipboard copy and pasteThere's "glipper" for GNOME, that's what I use.
2. JRuller - a tool for measuring pixels on screenI'm stumped there, have you considered taking a screenshot and then using an image editor?
3. notepad ++ - we are using gedit which is OK ... is there another optionSure! First, try installing the gedit-plugins package and additional plugins from this page (http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins)-- I especially like the splitscreen one, although it's a little bit buggy if you use two panes on the same file. With the plugins installed, Gedit is a very, very powerful editor with a great, clean UI.

Alternate, programmer-oriented editors are kate and geany, both of which have similar capabilities.

I guess the moderator will hate this jumping from topic to topic but for some reason i cannot post to all the forums ??

Evolution mail ... whats going on with the HTML email rendering !!! this is a real problem for us as we send some spam emails to our clients now and again, I now have Thunderbird installed side by side, mental !!!What's wrong with Thunderbird? If that's what works for you, use it. (Also, don't send spam!)

Finally about twice a day gnome crashes, or something does ... this makes nautilus partially revert to the default style .. the address (location) bar, file browser window and the places (left column) whats going on here ?Possibly an issue with gnome-settings-daemon. Try reinstalling that package from the package manager? If that doesn't work, start a support thread. Seems you may have found a real bug. As a temporary workaround, whenever the problem happens, try running this command in the terminal:
gnome-settings-daemonIf the crash then happens again, you can switch back to the terminal window and read the error message, which may help to explain where the problem is. (Or you can append "&disown" to the end of the command if you want to close the terminal window and leave the settings daemon running.)

tadcan
July 7th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I am a fan of notepad++ as well. I use it in Ubuntu via wine and it works. It looks a bit rougher in then it does on windows. Haven't used scite so not sure how it compares.

Do the other programs have the same plugins for html that auto close tags etc.

Sporkman
July 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
BTW, for measuring pixel size of areas within a browser window, there's a Firefox plugin called "MeasureIt" which does that - it's quite handy.

urukrama
July 8th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Regarding Gedit, you might be interested in this: Customizing gedit as a Web Developer’s IDE (http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-29-2007/gedit-html-editor.html).

dmizer
July 12th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Please keep things on topic.

Thank you.

parker.casey@gmail.com
July 12th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Please keep things on topic.

Thank you.

This has been entirely on-topic. ;)

More importantly - I've noticed gnome pieces crashing all over on desktop machines as well. Not as stable as one would have you believe ... but as far as server use, it's wonderful. The gnome problems seem to be stemming from differing hardware and whatnot, compared to what's entirely supported. Close enough is ... eh, not really close enough. I have the same issue with all linux drivers, for all hardware. It's always just "close enough."

Anyway ... I think Eclipse is a great IDE myself. I like to just use any notepad-like (kate, gedit, etc) program for editing smaller things. Scite has code formatting and highlighting, also.

Sporkman
July 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM
BTW, for measuring pixel size of areas within a browser window, there's a Firefox plugin called "MeasureIt" which does that - it's quite handy.

I also found a package in the Ubuntu Software Center called "ScreenRuler" which can be used anywhere on the screen.

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM
Just to add the editor wars. You aren't doing anything serious if you aren't using Eclipse.

:D

Primefalcon
July 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM
I'd also say gedit is a good choice though if you go into edit and then preferences

you can enable viewing of line numbers as well as numerous other things

and yes notepad++ works 100% under wine

Legendary_Bibo
July 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM
Regarding Gedit, you might be interested in this: Customizing gedit as a Web Developer’s IDE (http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-29-2007/gedit-html-editor.html).

Or Kompozer! Although it's a WYSIWYG editor. It's a good tool if you're not a professional web designer, but want to make websites.

carl_pr
July 21st, 2010, 05:15 AM
3- Try "Geany". Great and very very lightweight. Or the legendary editor "vim".

If you want a heavier one go and install "Eclipse"

Geany is very good and easy to use. I like that program