PDA

View Full Version : Oem or Retail parts for builds?

Stew2
March 30th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Hi all. I was going to post this as a poll, but I'm not sure how to do that. I've noticed that we have quite a few builders here. Just wondering if you use OEM parts or retail boxed parts to build with. I've built four or five machines so far and I always use OEM parts because they are much cheaper. I will buy a retail boxed part in a pinch if I cant find the OEM part I want. Just wondering what everyone else uses. Also, what type of machines do you build? ie. low end, mid range, high end?

Edit: I just noticed the thread tools button for polls. Doh!
Edit 2: I'm not selling anything, I'm just curious. :)

mstlyevil
March 30th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hi all. I was going to post this as a poll, but I'm not sure how to do that. I've noticed that we have quite a few builders here. Just wondering if you use OEM parts or retail boxed parts to build with. I've built four or five machines so far and I always use OEM parts because they are much cheaper. I will buy a retail boxed part in a pinch if I cant find the OEM part I want. Just wondering what everyone else uses. Also, what type of machines do you build? ie. low end, mid range, high end?

A mix of both. I usually try to by retail because of the better warranties except for hard drives which still have 3-5 year warranties on their OEM counterparts. Everything else is usually retail.

mcduck
March 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Only bulk parts for me, when ever that's possible. I don't need any cololrful boxes, or CD's full of useless software. Anyway, warranty is just anice extra here in Finland anyway. If there's anything wrong with the hardware, the manufacturer is always responsible. (unless it's caused by the user, but then even warranty won't help anyway)

Stew2
March 31st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Another thing, maybe its just me because I haven't built that many machines yet, but does anyone else get a charge out of pressing the power button for the first time on a freshly built machine and having it "come to life"? I actually think thats my favourite part! :D Kind of a weird Dr. Frankenstein thing... its alive! its alive! :twisted: Yes, I know I am strange... :D .

NeghVar
March 31st, 2006, 12:49 AM
lol... ive had so many compos have probs on 1st boot cuz sumtin stupid that i merely hope it works lol

drizek
March 31st, 2006, 12:51 AM
Another thing, maybe its just me because I haven't built that many machines yet, but does anyone else get a charge out of pressing the power button for the first time on a freshly built machine and having it "come to life"? I actually think thats my favourite part! :D Kind of a weird Dr. Frankenstein thing... its alive! its alive! :twisted: Yes, I know I am strange... :D .

Sadly, that has never happened with me. I always forget to plug something in :(

Anyway, OEM is better. CPUs are especially good because if you buy OEM, you can save some money and get your own heatsink. The stock cooler usually sucks, especially if you are overclocking or like a really quiet system.

Stew2
March 31st, 2006, 12:58 AM
Maybe it's just beginners luck for me, all of mine have worked on first boot. Then I do my happy dance! :D

P.S. Yes, I know I really am strange!:D

Mikieboyblue
March 31st, 2006, 05:13 AM
I always go OEM unless I really need the warrenty for a client I doing the building for. If it is for me - OEM all the way.