PDA

View Full Version : Can no longer install Windows on my laptop.

missbliss
July 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hi all!

Synopsis: I wiped my system and am using ubuntu 10.04 with no problems *except* that I now need IE 8 and MS Excel/Access/Powerpoint/Word for classwork. I kind of tried toying with WINE, but ultimately would rather just have a dual boot.

What occurs when I try a (any) Windows install (keep in mind I even swapped out a fresh Sata HD and the same problem occured:

Pop in a Windows ISO bootable CD>everything acts normal and I follow the prompts for a fresh install (not an upgrade)> It begins the install but the first part where it is "copying files" just goes to 100% in a split second>Then it moves down to the next prompt of "Expanding Files" at which point the laptop is spinning the disc/reading it but it just stays at 0%.

So, it's not a HD formating problem, right? I wiped the system, reformatted and got the okay from Windows that I could install so I assumed I reformatted it back to NTFS.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just trying to get as much of the info in the OP as possible.

Thanks for any help guys!

Rubi1200
July 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM
You don't mention which version of Windows you are trying to install.

Anyway, since you have the Windows CD, follow the instructions in the link I am providing and let us know what happens.

Running Checkdisk from the Windows CD

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097#CD

Also, if you still have an Ubuntu CD, boot the computer with it and click on th link at the bottom of my post. Follow the instructions and post the results back here. There may be something there that can help us offer more suggestions.

missbliss
July 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Well, I was trying to install Windows 7 32 bit, Windows XP Professional, Windows 7 64 Bit, and maybe a few others. Just anything I could get my hands on. Always the same problem.

Will try your links, thank you!!