PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Like to See Ubuntu Go Next?

asddf
July 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I think after 10.04 we have a great operating system, thats easy to use, fast and looks good.

10.04 seems a great base to build on, so my question is.

Now we have a fast, good looking, easy to use, secure operating system.(Finally a Linux distro easy enough for anyone)

So? what next?

I personally would love to see the looks really, really worked on it looks good now, thank god they got rid of that awful orange, but it still needs to look better. Apart from that I really don't know where they can go? it just checks a lot of boxes.

kellemes
July 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Rolling released.

gnomeuser
July 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
If it could go to the store to get me some peppers, bread and perhaps a few cold soft drinks that would be great and save me some time.

coutts99
July 7th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Rolling released.

This

Paqman
July 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM
So? what next?

Expand Ubuntu One so that you can use it on mobiles, and preferably Mac and Windows too. If they did that it might be able to leapfrog ahead of Dropbox in usefulness.

Tristam Green
July 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM
To THE MOON!

Johnsie
July 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Make it that i don't need to reinstall every package on my system every 6 months just to get the latest version of Ubuntu

joseacavallo
July 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
It would be nice if Ubuntu improve with the base that its designers has built, it have to improve greater compatibility with the latest generation laptops, because because whenever a version is released, you have to wait a bit so that the problems with some special buttons are resolved, Wireless, etc...(My wireless button never work right out of the box)

Also Ubuntu needs to be more user friendly (let's face it), configurate it with all the things we like is not a easy work for a common user (a Windows user that's just convinced that there are better things than virus, bugs, and blue screens!).

NightwishFan
July 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Rolling released.

You mean entirely rolling released or both static release and rolling release? Because having a static release makes it much easier to target and develop software for. Deploying becomes much more consistant and predictable as well.

Ric_NYC
July 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I would like to see things like this fixed:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1388/panelv.png

That icon in a white square is the Openoffice Quickstarter icon. It happens when I use the "Ambience" theme.

samalex
July 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Rolling released.

Yet another vote for this!

Sam

BrokenKingpin
July 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Extended release cycles, 6 months is too short.

castrojo
July 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I would like to see things like this fixed:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1388/panelv.png

That icon in a white square is the Openoffice Quickstarter icon. It happens when I use the "Ambience" theme.

You can help with these!

http://design.canonical.com/2010/06/help-wanted-notification-area/

Paqman
July 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Extended release cycles, 6 months is too short.

Ubuntu has two cycles, a six monthly one, and a two yearly one. Pick your favourite!

sydbat
July 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
If it could go to the store to get me some peppers, bread and perhaps a few cold soft drinks that would be great and save me some time.This.

Sporkman
July 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
ubuntu has two cycles, a six monthly one, and a two yearly one. Pick your favourite!

+1

madjr
July 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
ubuntu will be getting Btrfs with grub integration soon, so am happy for now

mystmaiden
July 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
One little thing is a problem for me that I would love to see fixed because I know its been around for a few releases. I'd like to not have to unplug my USB tablet and external hard drive to restart or in the case of my tablet, have it crash xorg if I forget and unplug it.

It's one of those details that makes a big difference for me.

aysiu
July 7th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Focus on making Ubuntu a physical product. Work in partnership with major OEMs to produce high-quality Ubuntu preinstalled options using Linux-friendly components and actual advertising.

So instead of having Dell hide Ubuntu options, recommend Windows 7, use Broadcom wireless cards, and preinstall Ubuntu 9.04 on computer that are basically just Windows machines without Windows...

...have Dell or some other OEM actually design a machine just for Ubuntu that uses Intel components, looks slick, has a unique name, and something else to set it apart (long battery life, thin form factor). Advertise it.

Look at the success of Google with Android. Did Google say to consumers "Hey, here's an open source operating system? Why don't you install on some non-Android phone you already have?" They wouldn't get very far with that approach. They worked to get handset makers like HTC and Motorola to create Android-preinstalled and Android-optimized phones to sell to the general public. People weren't buying a mobile operating system. They were buying a phone.

Most people don't buy operating systems. They buy computers (that come with operating systems). If Ubuntu keeps it up with the primary means of acquisition being the downloading of an .iso, it won't matter how many cool features or eye candy they add in. Bug #1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1) will remain unfixed.

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Better wifi support. That's my only gripe, other than that, ubuntu's always worked great for me. And if you stick with an LTS release for 2 years, inevitably, at the end of a year when you're 2 releases behind, most debs will be built for the 2-3 releases that are ahead of you.

quinnten83
July 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Focus on making Ubuntu a physical product. Work in partnership with major OEMs to produce high-quality Ubuntu preinstalled options using Linux-friendly components and actual advertising.

So instead of having Dell hide Ubuntu options, recommend Windows 7, use Broadcom wireless cards, and preinstall Ubuntu 9.04 on computer that are basically just Windows machines without Windows...

...have Dell or some other OEM actually design a machine just for Ubuntu that uses Intel components, looks slick, has a unique name, and something else to set it apart (long battery life, thin form factor). Advertise it.

Look at the success of Google with Android. Did Google say to consumers "Hey, here's an open source operating system? Why don't you install on some non-Android phone you already have?" They wouldn't get very far with that approach. They worked to get handset makers like HTC and Motorola to create Android-preinstalled and Android-optimized phones to sell to the general public. People weren't buying a mobile operating system. They were buying a phone.

Most people don't buy operating systems. They buy computers (that come with operating systems). If Ubuntu keeps it up with the primary means of acquisition being the downloading of an .iso, it won't matter how many cool features or eye candy they add in. Bug #1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1) will remain unfixed.

+1, but Canonical is no Google. They simply don't have the market muscle mass to get Dell to do stuff like that (yet).

jerenept
July 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Canonical should partner with System76 and zareason, to increase its presence in the corporate environment as workstations. Then consumers will adopt linux at home.

rwthelegend
July 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I like Ubuntu, but there is a lot of things wrong with is. I don't use it for a reason.

1. Don't use beta software (grub)
2. Detect my hardware and don't run useless service like bleutooth when I don't have it
3. DVD (or USB) install so I can select what packages to install and what not (no, not the minimal install)
4. Don't use Network Manager if you only use wired
5. Apt needs to be faster, it's too slow (yum and pacman is way faster)
6. Don't install Mono and apps that use it by default
7. Fix unneeded depedencies that aren't really required to run an application (apt again)
8. Computer Janitor should go, or work like people expect to work it
9. Grub needs to load faster (aka, don't use beta software)
10. Allow root login, really do you guys disable it because noobs use your OS?

I stopped here, Ubuntu is a great OS but it has loads of issues it needs to work out. I could list more, but those should do for now, :p

I haven't actually used 10.4 so it could be that a few of those are fixed, but I doubt it.

jerenept
July 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Use BleachBit (sudo aptitude install bleachbit)

The Real Dave
July 8th, 2010, 01:04 AM

I agree totally. I'd love to see Ubuntu spread like that, and I think, with XP on it's way out, there's space in the market of embedded systems.

For example, the little machine at the cinema near me that lets you print off your pre-booked tickets runs XP. The Self-Service Checkouts at my local Tescos uses XP. A number of tills I've worked with, and other devices such as machine controls use XP. This could be somewhere for Ubuntu, or Linux even to expand into.

There's a long road ot go down though, to get the software developed, and the manufactures on board.

Another rather nifty thing could be an iPad rival, some skinny tablet PC running Ubuntu, which would be more usable, cheaper, and therefore competitive. Again manufactures would be a problem, and to get a nice stable version of Ubuntu suited to the lower power of those devices, which won't bog down the moment a user begins to install more programs.

Timmer1240
July 8th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I would like to see it at best buy ,walmart ,target ect. as an option for pc buyers to run also have windows or linux!