PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a game even if it costs $?

kevin11951
July 7th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Ok, time to kill the stigma... All over the place you see articles about Linux users can't have games, or photoshop, etc... because Linux users feel entitled to have everything handed to them for free... I don't feel this way, and I don’t think most others do either.

So lets say a game was released, this game was a good game, and it was written in the genre you like most (fps, mmorpg, indie, etc)... Would you pay $20 for it? $40? $60?

If a game was releases that I actually liked, I would buy it... I bought World of Goo when it came out, and I plan to by Osmos soon...

NightwishFan
July 7th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Of course. Not everything has to be free or open, though I would support/use such things first. I also would pay for open source software.

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Of course! But some game costs are quite redeciolous... standard price being 70$ for a new game and being pulled off the shelves before falling below 50.

chessnerd
July 7th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I will admit, I like free games. I regularly play Slingshot, glTron, and OpenArena. However, I am not afraid to shell out some cash for a good game.

However, unless I really want the game, I will wait for it to go on sale. I bought Spore once the price fell to $40.

Also, I've purchased old games on eBay and Amazon before (Populous: The Beggining anyone?) and sometimes buy discount games from stores (got Civ III for $5 a couple months ago).

I'm a bargain hunter, but if I really want a computer game, I will pay premium for it. I'm not some computer user who wears a hook and lives on the high seas. I purchase my booty. :)

Mike'sHardLinux
July 7th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Though I understand why it exists, I hate the stereotype of Linux users not willing to pay for software.

I paid for Windows 7 Pro, Vista Ultimate, multiple copies of XP Home and Pro, etc...... I also have paid for applications, MS Office 97 through 2007, Guitar Pro 5, Cakewalk Producer 4, Cakewalk Home Studio 7 XL, etc.... and have even donated generously to several free software projects including wz_tooltip and download helper.

I have spent tons of money on games over the years, too. C&C, Red Alert, Diablo I and II(multiple copies to host LAN games), Starcraft, Warcraft 1, 2 and 3(multiple copies to host LAN games), Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament (GOTY, 2003, and 2004), etc, all the way back to Apogee games....

I cannot even remember all the software I have paid for over the years going all he way back to my Apple IIc, and cartridges for my Atari 2600 before that.

OF COURSE I would buy a game! Even if it costs........money.........

ElSlunko
July 7th, 2010, 04:32 AM
It's a stereotype, yes. There are plenty of articles out there that support that Linux users do actually pay for games. In some cases they shelled out more money than Mac & Windows users on certain "name your own" price deals that some popular games had.

Legendary_Bibo
July 7th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Er, of course. I've built quite of collection of games over the years, with each new console generation I tent to buy more and more games. Paying $60 for a game I would like is no issue to me. I know a lot of kids my age who buy all the newest fancy gadgets, and wonder why I don't have them. I've always preferred playing games I guess.

Giant Speck
July 7th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I only buy things that don't cost money.

cpmman
July 7th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I do not play games on my computer - I am too busy living my life.

NightwishFan
July 7th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I only buy things that don't cost money.

:o *Head implodes*

Spr0k3t
July 7th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Good game of my favorite genre? Of course, if it was released as a Linux binary for my chip architecture. Other games not designed for Linux but available through a sort of emulation or API layer, it would need to be a game in the top20 of its genre and run damn near flawless before I would consider it. For instance, Eve Online... nice game, great mmorpg, but not what I would consider a top20 game.

V for Vincent
July 7th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I do not play games on my computer - I am too busy living my life.

Are you too busy to read books, too? To go to the movies? I don't consider games to be on the same level as "proper" art (after all, they are always produced with a large audience and a certain profit in mind), but they're a culturally significant phenomenon.

Now, as for my own stance: yes, but I do think games cost way too much as it is. For a type of game I like that gets an average review score of 90%, I'd pay about 30 euros. I generally buy games from bargain bins or whatnot, but I don't pirate.

m4tic
July 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
i won't buy games. i buy airtime to call my girlfriend

Paqman
July 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Anyone that doesn't play World of Goo simply because it costs money is an eejit.

The fact that Linux users shelled out significantly more per person for the Humble Indie Bundle than Windows or Mac users showed that they're more than happy to pay for games.

Tristam Green
July 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
The fact that Linux users shelled out significantly more per person for the Humble Indie Bundle than Windows or Mac users showed that they're more than happy to pay for games.

That or they don't know the value of a dollar. But it's probably what you said ;)

bigseb
July 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ok, time to kill the stigma... All over the place you see articles about Linux users can't have games, or photoshop, etc...
Don't forget CADCAM...

So lets say a game was released, this game was a good game (not great, but good), and it was written in the genre you like most (fps, mmorpg, indie, etc)... Would you pay $20 for it? $40? $60?
Yes. If I really want something I pay.

hoagie
July 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I anyway buy PC games, so yes I will buy them if I like them, especially if they come with linux binaries.
However I am not willing to pay $200 bucks for a Photoshop license.

plurworldinc
July 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
One of the highlights of using Linux is the free games that you can enjoy at will. However if there was a Linux version of World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, or any other major game piped over to Linux I would have no problem paying full price to enjoy the games that I like with Linux.

dakkar9999
July 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Bought Indie game pack and Osmos from recommandation of this board. :-)

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm not really a gamer, so I don't know. I get bored of games very fast, so it would have to be something extremely good for me to pay. For example, I'll be buying Diablo III when it comes out, because Diablo I/II are some of the games that have really held my attention.

CharlesA
July 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Haven't preordered Diii yet, but I did preoder Fallout: New Vegas. O_o

So.. yes. I suppose that answers the question. :p

wkhasintha
July 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Of course , developing a game is by any means not an easy task , so I'd be willing to pay for it, if the price is too high I'd share my costs with friend(s). actually i am not into games much (lol)

chiliman
July 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Ill probabbly get black ops as soon as it comes out, but its just seems like a waste of $ to buy every game the second it comes out. I didnt get bioshock untill the game of the year edition came out i think i paid 20usd; and i'm still waiting for mass effect 2 to come down in price but i might be getting impatient.

As for paying for games on linux, it would probabbly be good if someone made something that wasnt free and became popular. When sauerbraten came out apparently it got alot of press about it and it was free, and im sure that got alot of people to download and try out linux. Sauerbraten is fun btw. I would pay for a game for linux, i think sauerbraten is worth 20bucks. i mean worse games have come out that cost more than that lol. It would also be nice to also see someone create a game engine for linux that could be comparable to the crytek engine. And i would pay for that.