PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which sites are used for Ubuntu/Linux software download?

carlos.hernandez
July 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hi, I have access to a wireless network at my university, but whenever I try to download software to my ubuntu machine (either by apt-get install or update manager) I get a message saying that the packages could not be read.

The software principal asked me to give him the sites where the software is downloaded so he can unblock them, but I'm not quite sure about the sites. Can someone tell me which sites should I provide to him so I can fully download Ubuntu Software on this network??

akelsall
July 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM
That's a good question Carlos. I'm not sure myself, but if you ping www.ubuntu.com, their IP is 91.189.94.156. I'd guess that the server where the repositories are at "might" be on this same subnet, but not 100% sure. You could ask him to see if they allow anything from the 91.189.x.x for starters, or what and see what other responses you get.

Pumalite
July 7th, 2010, 01:02 AM
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

oldfred
July 7th, 2010, 01:25 AM
If you click on System, Administration, Software Sources and click on the combo box for Download from: You will see a choice for Other and then it opens up a box for Select best server. that will run thru all the available servers and from your location choose the one with best response.

I would including the best and the general Ubuntu one.