PDA

View Full Version : When will Windows XP finally die?

chessnerd
July 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Windows XP.

Whether you proclaim it as famous or infamous, you can't deny that it was the operating system of the new millennium. At home, at work, at school, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing the classic blue and green Bliss that signified Windows XP. From 2001 on it has dominated the market with a fist stronger than iron. Nothing has managed to dethrone it.

Now, after 9 years and three service packs it is still going strong at 55% of the total market. Windows Vista took a chunk away, and Windows 7 is starting to make a further dent into its marketshare, but progress is slow.

Windows XP SP3 will lose support in April of 2014, but even then it looks like it could still have some of its marketshare.

The question is, when will Windows XP finally go away?

arsenic23
July 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I still have customers using '98 and '95, not to mention odd things like OS8 and NT. If it isn't already dead, then the answer is never. Personally it's dead when it is no longer useful to me: 2007.

kamaboko
July 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM
When our sun dies and the earth becomes a cold, lifeless wasteland spinning through space, a copy of XP will remain. That along with a Twinkie.

Joker1134
July 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM
im on xp right now. (i ment to hit ubuntu when i started the computer). i dont think it will die any time soon. i hate windows but if i had no choice i would go with xp. its gonna be a long time till its gone for good.

fetuspuppet
July 6th, 2010, 11:10 PM
It's used in a lot of CAD/CAM environments to control automated machining, so probably never.

:P

Lucradia
July 6th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Windows XP has already lost home support.

Businesses and schools still use WinXP as well as Windows 2000. However, as support dwindles, schools are looking more toward Apple and businesses with linux.

Vista and 7 are not really ready for businesses and schools.

NightwishFan
July 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
It is already dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

Cuddles McKitten
July 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Quickest possible answer: whenever you can't play the newest games on it.

McRat
July 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
It's still being sold last I checked.

In embedded systems, it should be around at least 10 years more.

Assuming sales stop this year, I'd say 5 years before it drops to 3rd place on the Desktop market.

In certain areas, like CAD, it will be around longer, since the Win7 Pro "XP Compatibility" option isn't all that reliable.

chessnerd
July 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
When our sun dies and the earth becomes a cold, lifeless wasteland spinning through space, a copy of XP will remain. That along with a Twinkie.

:lol:

That made me laugh, and inspired me to make a quick GIMP image...

RiceMonster
July 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
In the home market, I think it's on it's way out (though slowly). In large corporations, it's going to take an extremely long time.

NightwishFan
July 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I agree. For homes it will only last until folks buy a new batch of computers.

kamaboko
July 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM
:lol:

That made me laugh, and inspired me to make a quick GIMP image...

Now that was funny. lol

Shining Arcanine
July 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Windows XP.

Whether you proclaim it as famous or infamous, you can't deny that it was the operating system of the new millennium. At home, at work, at school, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing the classic blue and green Bliss that signified Windows XP. From 2001 on it has dominated the market with a fist stronger than iron. Nothing has managed to dethrone it.

Now, after 9 years and three service packs it is still going strong at 55% of the total market. Windows Vista took a chunk away, and Windows 7 is starting to make a further dent into its marketshare, but progress is slow.

Windows XP SP3 will lose support in April of 2014, but even then it looks like it could still have some of its marketshare.

I think the question should be "when should Windows XP die?" and the answer is when POSIX operating systems replace Windows. Otherwise, Microsoft can just keep doing whatever it pleases, even if it hurts people.

chessnerd
July 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Windows XP has already lost home support.

False.

Windows XP is currently in the Extended Support Phase, which means that it still gets security updates, and paid support over the phone is available. (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/)

Windows is still very much usable in the Extended Support phase. The only thing home users don't get are non-security hotfixes and complimentary support.

oldsoundguy
July 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Most converting to Win 7 are migrating away from Vista, not XP! At least that is what charts at places like w3 schools seem to indicate!
Those same figures also indicate that OVERALL, Windows is losing market share at the rate of 1/2 to 1% per month.

I have it on two boxes that do such activities as Adobe and photography or sync my PDA's or run instructional video. See absolutely NO reason to update as long as those programs run. As it is the PROGRAMS that are what I want, the OS, as long as I can run those programs within, it totally immaterial!

rollin
July 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
2015-2017 I think as it will take a while for people to switch particularly industries.

Interesting idea as many ATM machines run on XP, I guess that means in 2018 the screen will have transparent effects and a secret admin account ;)

SunnyRabbiera
July 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Whenever Microsoft feels like it.

kingrobdun
July 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Xp will die when the Amiga does.

kostkon
July 7th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Xp will die when the Amiga does.
i.e. never?

alexfish
July 7th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Talking to a IT guy from a large corporate co , said xp getting the chop and replacing with Linux , I did not question as to why, just :D
XP never really lived :

mmix
July 7th, 2010, 02:11 AM
It is p-np problem,

It depend on how much Reactos development progressed.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 7th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Based on my personal experience, I think Windows XP will be around for quite a while after there are no security updates for it. There are a lot of computer users that know absolutely nothing about security. As long as they can browse, check email, play some videos and music, they will keep using it. When it gets slow because of all the malware, they will find someone to reinstall the OS from the CDs. Until something they care about doesn't work they will continue to use it.

yester64
July 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Windows XP.

Probably once the last user dies.
I still have a XP in my cd collection, but so far i don't have to go back.

Marlonsm
July 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I say it'll die when the f(x) = 1/x function reaches zero(sorry, I've been studying too much calculus).
It'll get very close to die, but will never be completely dead.

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I say it'll die when the f(x) = 1/x function reaches zero(sorry, I've been studying too much calculus).
It'll get very close to die, but will never be completely dead.
I don't think that's calculus, I studied functions in math 1; but I completely agree with you.

Timmer1240
July 7th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Ive got an nlited version of xp it only takes 40 megs of memory when first installed its pretty snappy too be my second choice after ubuntu it makes a good gaming OS!

Lucradia
July 7th, 2010, 03:42 AM
False.

Windows XP is currently in the Extended Support Phase, which means that it still gets security updates, and paid support over the phone is available. (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/)

Windows is still very much usable in the Extended Support phase. The only thing home users don't get are non-security hotfixes and complimentary support.

Home doesn't get extended support, Pro does; which is the only XP that came in x64 anyway.

Hyper Tails
July 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Hopefully 2014

My Dad still uses his XP machine from 2002

It Has XP Home Edtion SP3

chessnerd
July 7th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Home doesn't get extended support, Pro does; which is the only XP that came in x64 anyway.

I work with 3 Home Edition machines and they all still get monthly security updates, so do the 2 Pro Edition machines I work with. Windows XP SP3, regardless of edition, will receive security updates until April 8, 2014. (Unless a SP4 gets released before April 2012, in which case support will end 24 months after the release of SP4)

More sources:

ars technia Article (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/04/windows-xp-mainstream-support-retired-but-no-need-to-worry.ars)

Computerworld Article (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9070119/Windows_XP_Going_going_..._gone_)

Neowin Article (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/04/windows-xp--office-2003-mainstream-support-ends-april-14)

At the start of the Neowin article, it explicitly states that Extended Support applies to Windows XP Home Edition. Your information is inaccurate.

Hopefully 2014

My Dad still uses his XP machine from 2002

It Has XP Home Edtion SP3

The main machine in my house is from 2002, it also runs XP Home SP3. I, too, hope that my family gets a new machine before 2014. If we don't, I'm putting Ubuntu on it. I won't let my family run a non-supported OS...

MooPi
July 7th, 2010, 04:14 AM
It is already dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

We need a coroner report to verify please.

SoFl W
July 7th, 2010, 04:14 AM
At my old job we were still using Windows 2000 Pro, it was the most stable for what we needed. Support for Windows 2000 ends on July 13, 2010 (http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1131)! (next week) If Windows 2000's support is ending next week, when does XP's support end?

When Microsoft says its end of life has come, and it will no longer receive updates then I will say it has died although people will still continue to use it. I am sure there are plenty of MSDOS machines still active.

If a machine is used for a specific, or stand alone purpose the hardware/software may not need to be upgraded. If XP satisfies the user, it wont die on certain machines.

EDIT:
Looked it up on the Microsoft website. On April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated

kostkon
July 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
At my old job we were still using Windows 2000 Pro, it was the most stable for what we needed. Support for Windows 2000 ends on July 13, 2010 (http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1131)! (next week)
Wow, didn't know that. RIP Windows 2K then ;)

SoFl W
July 7th, 2010, 04:21 AM
In the home market, I think it's on it's way out (though slowly). In large corporations, it's going to take an extremely long time.

On the home market most of the Windows users were already screaming their computers were running too slowly several years ago.

BuffaloX
July 7th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Depends on how you define dead.
My guess is that it will still have more than Linux current marketshare by 2018.
But it will probably be considered commercially irrelevant by 2016.

rmayer32
July 8th, 2010, 12:15 AM
They way my company seems to feel about XP is that it will never die..lol Guess they have a couple years or so to figure out where to go next.

RJARRRPCGP
July 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Talking to a IT guy from a large corporate co , said xp getting the chop and replacing with Linux , I did not question as to why, just :D
XP never really lived :

Sorry, at this time, as of July, 2010, XP is not getting the chop on my Asus P5QL Pro. GNU/Linux still has issues on the Asus P5QL Pro. :(

XP won't get axed, on the P5QL Pro.

beercz
July 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I REALLY don't care!

RiceMonster
July 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
On the home market most of the Windows users were already screaming their computers were running too slowly several years ago.

I'm not following. What does that have to do with what I said?

I REALLY don't care!

Thanks for sharing.

beercz
July 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.