PDA

View Full Version : Real name on the forums?

endotherm
July 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I notice today, that Blizzard will be restricting their forums to folks registering with their real first and last names.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/07/06/1823202/Blizzard-To-Require-Real-First-and-Last-Names-For-Official-Forums?art_pos=2

I personally would not post to these forums were they to apply the same rule. how do you all feel about it?

Crunchy the Headcrab
July 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I'd just use a fake name. I have an email address with a fake first and last name that I use to register for websites that I know will spam me.

I have a feeling Blizzard is going to find out that a lot of their fans have the same names as their characters.

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I don't really like that. One of the major reasons people are attracted to forums and other such things on the internet is the anonimity associated with it. Sure, less anonimity could mean less trolling (although I kind of doubt it), but trolling isn't really that difficult to deal with.

v1ad
July 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
i would never create an account there.

Bachstelze
July 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
A lot of forums do that, it makes total sense to me. If people use their real names, they will behave. Why Blizzard does that, I wonder, though. It's not like people are discussing serious things on their forums...

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM
A lot of forums do that, it makes total sense to me. If people use their real names, they will behave.
I disagree, I know plenty of people who act more civilized online than they do in their day to day lives. I don't think people not knowing your name makes a huge difference in that respect.

Strongman332
July 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
i hate the concept of revealing my real id at all

Muffinabus
July 6th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'd just use a fake name. I have an email address with a fake first and last name that I use to register for websites that I know will spam me.

I have a feeling Blizzard is going to find out that a lot of their fans have the same names as their characters.

You cannot change the name under your Battle.net account without a notarized legal document stating the change of your name.

endotherm
July 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I see my real identity a lot like the CC2 code on the back of credit cards. they are there to truly identify me in a pinch, when dealing with very important stuff.

The problem is though, the more you use either, the less secure and reliable they become. the more often they are transmitted, the more likely somone will mess up and comprimise them.

These items are supposed to be last ditch measures only to be used in extreme cases, not every time i order a pizza.

lostinxlation
July 6th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I disagree, I know plenty of people who act more civilized online than they do in their day to day lives. I don't think people not knowing your name makes a huge difference in that respect.

Trust me. if everyone uses the real identity on the internet board, the amount of flaming war will be cut in half.
Back in the early days of internet, a lot of people used real name and organization in a form of signature, email address or IP address when they posted on Newsgroup. Apparently, flame war wasn't very common back then.

cprofitt
July 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I notice today, that Blizzard will be restricting their forums to folks registering with their real first and last names.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/07/06/1823202/Blizzard-To-Require-Real-First-and-Last-Names-For-Official-Forums?art_pos=2

I personally would not post to these forums were they to apply the same rule. how do you all feel about it?

Could be a problem for Joe Smith... and the 17000 other Joe Smith's.

cprofitt
July 6th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Trust me. if everyone uses the real identity on the internet board, the amount of flaming war will be cut in half.
Back in the early days of internet, a lot of people used real name and organization in a form of signature, email address or IP address when they posted on Newsgroup. Apparently, flame war wasn't very common back then.

Ah... depended on what Newsgroup you were following. There were plenty of them back then... plenty.

RiceMonster
July 6th, 2010, 10:47 PM
That's fine. I registered with my real name anyway.

arsenic23
July 6th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Back in the early days of internet, a lot of people used real name and organization in a form of signature, email address or IP address when they posted on Newsgroup. Apparently, flame war wasn't very common back then.Yes, but that was also back when every 5 year old and Sally Sue wasn't crawling about the Internet.

Honestly though, this is a horrible idea. It is especially horrible considering they are putting this into effect in a community which, I'm assuming, is composed heavily of minors. The possibilities for abuse are huge.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT:
Aren't there laws against this kind of things where minors are concerned? I mean, I'm fairly sure it is illegal, in my state, for teachers to talk about their students by name outside of class.

lisati
July 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
It's rare that I use my real name on the internet these days. My family name is sufficiently uncommon where I live that people could easily figure out who I am if I get careless. Even the photos I have had attached to my profile here were probably more than enough for locals to figure out my identity.

I did have a picture posted of Mrs Lisati on my forum album where she was with standing with former NZ prime minister Helen Clarke, but removed it for privacy concerns.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 7th, 2010, 01:12 AM
It's rare that I use my real name on the internet these days. My family name is sufficiently uncommon where I live that people could easily figure out who I am if I get careless....

Same reason here. My first and last name are so rare that someone could find me in a phone book just by guessing what country I live in (clue: I use words like miles, Fahrenheit, feet, etc.).

How rare is the last name? Well, I was researching my family genealogy, and found a name of a child in a letter written to my grandparents at the end of WWII. I entered the child's name into an on-line phone directory for Germany and got only two hits. Yes, one of the people was the relative I was seeking.

CharlesA
July 7th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Meh, I used my real (first) name, since I didn't feel like using my online handle on a non-gaming forum. >.>

My opinion on it: Big Effing deal. You already need to register under your real(tm) name when creating a WoW account and I am sure it will be the same for a SC2 acct.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 7th, 2010, 01:50 AM
My opinion on it: Big Effing deal. You already need to register under your real(tm) name when creating a WoW account and I am sure it will be the same for a SC2 acct.

Unless the site is something I do business with; such as, insurance company, bank, stock broker, etc., I have a fake name I use rather than my real name.

I've never used WoW so I don't know if they bill your credit card, if not, they would get my fake name.