PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nasty Bug

elmasry.ayman
July 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
It happened more than once... I'd be doing something maybe installing software or something and suddenly nothing is responding to my mouse clicks, It's moving but nothing is responding to both left and right clicks, I even tried the touch-pad and still no response. Finally I had to press ctrl+alt+delete and only then it would respond for me to shut down or restart the system.

So what is going on here?

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM
It's kind of hard to say. What kind of services are you running? What was being installed when this happened? I have had some really annoying bugs show up after installing some kinds of server software... maybe vnc or ssh, I can't remember for sure. I just restarted my machine and forgot about it, it has only happened to me while actively screwing with settings so I don't really worry about it. Can you solve the problem by logging out of your account and back in or do you have to do a full restart?

elmasry.ayman
July 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Well I think each time that happens I would be installing something. The one time I remember was just after I had installed wine. Actually I didn't try to log off, but had it worked it wouldn't have made much of a difference; I would still have to shut down every thing and start all over again.

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Are you mostly just noticing problems durring installation? If it seems to only happen while installation is in progress it could just be because the installation is draining your resources. What kind of hardware do you have?

elmasry.ayman
July 6th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Actually it's after the installation not during. I have an AMD turion 64 X2 2.00 GHz, with 2 GB of RAM.

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Interesting, and it happens with just any kind of installation? If you were to install some insignificant program right now it is likely to cause this problem?

elmasry.ayman
July 6th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Ummm... well as I said; it happened right after installing Wine, I don't think it's that insignificant. You know I've had so many problems with Lucid Lynx, 9.10 was very stable and everything worked well, I even had to install 10.04 by first installing 9.10 then upgrading to 10.04, I couldn't install it directly after formatting because of some compatibility issue with the graphics card driver.

tjandracom
July 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
as the wine development goes more and more close to windoze, some windoze viruses reportedly run well on linux. although the virus are not running as intended, but they can cause some performance issues (they eat cpu and memory resources while trying to duplicate themselves). especially if you running them as root/super user. i don't know if this is your case, but it happened to me once.

polomint77
July 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
This also happens to me, but *only* while running software under Wine. The only software I run in Wine is Gamespy Arcade, but I would assume that other software running under Wine may cause the same problem. Even when I hit the power button and I get the logoff/restart/shutdown menu I still cant click using the mouse, I have to use the cursor keys to restart, :(

It's not much of issue for me tbh, but it's a niggle I'd like to solve, but I wouldn't know where to start, :(

EDIT: It's just done the same thing while posting this reply, I had Wine running Gamespy Arcade and lost all mouse click functions. The mouse moved fine and I noticed that when moving the mouse over the text that I had typed, it would highlight the text as if I had the left mouse button held down like I was selecting a block of text. I had to use keyboard shortcuts to get this submitted lol. I have disconnected the usb mouse, just to check whether its a problem with the usb,....

EDIT 2: Ok, I've been running Wine w/GSA and doing other stuff for a while now with my usb mouse unplugged. It hasn't fallen over once yet, so it seems to be a usb mouse problem on my system atleast. I'll now try it in a different usb port and cross my fingers, :)

elmasry.ayman
July 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
This also happens to me, but *only* while running software under Wine. The only software I run in Wine is Gamespy Arcade, but I would assume that other software running under Wine may cause the same problem. Even when I hit the power button and I get the logoff/restart/shutdown menu I still cant click using the mouse, I have to use the cursor keys to restart, :(

It's not much of issue for me tbh, but it's a niggle I'd like to solve, but I wouldn't know where to start, :(

EDIT: It's just done the same thing while posting this reply, I had Wine running Gamespy Arcade and lost all mouse click functions. The mouse moved fine and I noticed that when moving the mouse over the text that I had typed, it would highlight the text as if I had the left mouse button held down like I was selecting a block of text. I had to use keyboard shortcuts to get this submitted lol. I have disconnected the usb mouse, just to check whether its a problem with the usb,....

EDIT 2: Ok, I've been running Wine w/GSA and doing other stuff for a while now with my usb mouse unplugged. It hasn't fallen over once yet, so it seems to be a usb mouse problem on my system atleast. I'll now try it in a different usb port and cross my fingers, :)
Interesting, it could be directly related to the USB mouse, I think I'll try using the touch-pad and see if it happens again.

polomint77
July 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Also, I've been running with my usb mouse plugged into a different usb port with no problems at all. Maybe you can try another port just in case it's that, :)