PDA

View Full Version : GameCrush Offers Male Gamers a Social Life

Sporkman
July 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM
GameCrush Offers Male Gamers a Social Life

The soon-to-launch Web site is one-part social network, two-parts adult dating site, and heavy on games like Grand Theft Auto

By Adam Satariano
BW Magazine

The most popular people at the annual E3 video game conference in Los Angeles last month weren't the creators of Nintendo's 3D handheld device or Microsoft's (MSFT) controller-free system, Kinect. They were, instead, the duo of Amber Syr and Gina Tran, two 21-year-old women who walked the showroom dressed in matching tight black short-shorts and tank tops that read "Play Me." Syr and Tran are "PlayDates" on GameCrush.com, a new Web site that offers predominantly male gamers a chance to do something many of them may not otherwise do: meet women. While playing video games....

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_28/b4186072409005.htm

nahrees
July 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a cool alternative to on-line dating sites. But why in the world will people not let go of the stereotype of the lonely gamer-nerd who can't get a girl?

JDShu
July 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Pay people to play games with you? That's just kinda depressing.

dragos240
July 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM
That's wild man! :lol:.

whiskeylover
July 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a cool alternative to on-line dating sites. But why in the world will people not let go of the stereotype of the lonely gamer-nerd who can't get a girl?

Because stereotypes are fun!

Sporkman
July 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Well it's not completely baseless - people who spend more time gaming spend less time out socializing, etc.

sydbat
July 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Well it's not completely baseless - people who spend more time gaming spend less time out socializing, etc.Yes, but...this seems to me more like a...um...pr0n/pr0stitute site than anything. I mean, really, these guys will still NOT BE meeting women in person, it'll all be through webcams and such.

nahrees
July 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
tee hee

I read more closely. I didn't realize you pay to play games with girls. :P

Groucho Marxist
July 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM
tee hee

I read more closely. I didn't realize you pay to play games with girls. :P

LOL Is this just limited to console gamers? "Miss, do you take tokens?"

McRat
July 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM
"Oh baby, nothing gets me hotter than a Level 30 Wizard! Take me, take me NOW!!!"
:p

Groucho Marxist
July 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM
"Oh baby, nothing gets me hotter than a Level 30 Wizard! Take me, take me NOW!!!"
:p

Roll for the result.

Ruuki
July 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Turn your controller on vibrate, honey

now fire

oooooooooohhh

earthpigg
July 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I put on my robe and wizard hat...

cascade9
July 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Yes, but...this seems to me more like a...um...pr0n/pr0stitute site than anything. I mean, really, these guys will still NOT BE meeting women in person, it'll all be through webcams and such.

I sort of agree, but really, whoever it is who is using this could get 'the real thing' cheaper-

In the beta version, gamers pay $4 for 10 minutes of playing with a companion on the Xbox Live system. They pay $4 for six minutes of playing online versions of casual games such as Battleship or Connect Four.http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_28/b4186072409005.htm

Same business model as well, you pay less for '1 on 1' than you do for 'connect 4' (that is always expensive).

Bachstelze
July 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Too bad I don't game. :(