PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice.org compatibility with Android

badaveil
July 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Since Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice.org, I was wondering if OpenOffice.org files can be opened in Android handphones without the need of relevant plugins because I am contemplating buying one. :confused:Thanks

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Well the great thing about android is that you can get tons of open source applications on it. I'm sure by now someone has made a program that is capable of reading open office documents. If you don't want to download software I'm a little unsure why you would spend the money for an android phone to begin with, though. To me, the ability to download that kind of software is the whole point of the android.

prshah
July 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Nope sorry, you can't use openoffice (or it's native formats) on Android (yet), at the very least not without third party software.

You can use Google Docs (but there are restrictions in Android, eg cannot CREATE documents?) which can read/write openoffice / microsoft office / rtf / html etc

I have an Android phone: Samsung Galaxy Spica, just FYI.

badaveil
July 6th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys

At at least now:

For the time being, OpenOffice.org files cannot be open by Android.
They still can be opened by Google docs.

I just thought since Android being Open Source and OpenOffice.org being a major Open Source Office Suite, they would have capitalized on making it a seamless...and that I am just plain lazy but I should think it wouldn't be too difficult to install an appropriate plugin.