PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] internet disconnection after installing nvidia driver

luca_blight05
July 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
hi guys! please help me with this... last night i have fresh installed ubuntu 10.4 on my computer. Then after that, I installed the updates. Lastly, i installed nvidia hardware driver so that i could use its graphical effects. After rebooting my computer, i've noticed that i was disconnected from the internet. And I was surprised that it is the cause of my internet disconnection because when i remove it, my internet comes back. What should I do with this?

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Could this maybe have been a coincidence? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers and found the same problems to have occurred? I find it hard to believe that nvidia drivers could have disconnected you from the internet.

luca_blight05
July 6th, 2010, 07:45 AM
yes i did that three times already... and it's still making me offline. I was also surprised because i have no idea why a video card driver had any relation of disconnecting my Internet.

luca_blight05
July 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
i've discovered that when i install the nvidia(173) instead of the "Recommended" one, its seems to have no problem.. what the difference between the two? and howcome both are same nvidia drivers but i have been experiencing disconnection of internet when i installed the "Recommended" one? I'm so confused and still wondering why a video card driver affects my internet hahah!

Yarui
July 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
How old is your nvidia card? If you have an old nvidia card the 173 driver is the newest driver that is compatible with your card. I have an old 5700 ultra in one of my machines and I have to use the 173 driver for that.

luca_blight05
July 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
my vcard is GeForce 8500, what will i use for this? Is it still the "173"? Anyways.. ive fresh re-installed Lucid Lynx on my computer, this time it worked fine installing na "RECOMMENDED" Nvidia driver. now im wondering but this is out of the topic.. howcome ubuntu did comsumed 8gig(because of the updates) of my hard drive but then it was uninstalled not more than 5 secs? are the files really removed on my computer?

Yarui
July 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I think that card might be new enough to use the newest drivers, but I'm not totally sure. I can't remember where I found the list of cards that require older drivers.

Removing data from a drive generally takes much less time than writing files to the drive. This is mainly because the files aren't really removed from the drive, the links to the files are just removed, causing the data to be lost and seen as free space that is okay to be overwritten.

luca_blight05
July 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
oh i was enlightened.. tnx dude!