PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GnomeDo Docky or AWN?

lsutiger
July 6th, 2010, 04:26 AM
So which one do you think is better? And why? Poll below :)

Darkness Des
July 6th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I've used all 3, and personally like Docky best. It provides the most authentic OSX look, as well as generally looking and behaving the best. For instance, I can open up Docky and be on my way instead of closing the search function from Do and then changing the dock back around to the way that I use it. The look and feel of Docky are important to me, someone who does a lot of of OSX theming. Like the look, hate the actual OS.

pastalavista
July 6th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I think AWN looks best of the lot but I still prefer panels. OSX is ugly IMHO and the dock makes it look rather childish or toy-like to me.

Frogs Hair
July 6th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I just switched from GLX to AWN , I like the Lucido theme so I installed the latest PPA. This is an old topic with many threads and may be moved.

Roasted
September 12th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hate to bump this but, why not? :P

I've been a hardcore Docky user, but lately I've been playing with AWN. I feel both of them are extremely solid, but at the same time I feel like they are intended for slightly different audiences. For example, Docky craves ease of use, hence the sheer lack of customizable options in the menu, whereas Awn at least has some extra options in a very easy to follow menu that users who want more options can utilize. So for someone who wants to tweak their dock quite a bit, Awn may be up their alley, whereas if you just want to install a dock and never touch it again, perhaps Docky is right for you.

Both are solid projects and both respond great. But I'm beginning to like my tweak-able options a little bit in Awn, so I may be sticking with it for some time now.

Note - my experiences are with both up to date PPA versions of both Docky and Awn and not "Gnome-Do's docky" or an older version of Awn in the repos.

keypox
September 12th, 2010, 02:21 AM
This is one reason i switched back to awn, after using docky for a while.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/how-to-fully-replace-your-gnome-panels-with-awn/

And dockbarx addon in awn :)

Rasa1111
September 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM
AWN w/Lucido style,= best dock ever! :D <3