PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rights Management

leoplanxxi
July 5th, 2010, 11:30 PM
In the future will it be possible to play or decode DRM-protected media in Linux media software?

(obviously, paying royalties, if necessary)

dragos240
July 5th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Why would I want to? You can get DRM free media too. Besides DRM protected media is EVIL.

chiliman
July 6th, 2010, 12:12 AM
ive never used any service that DRM's their DL's like I-tunes, but i had a buddy once burn the DRM audio to a CD and re-rip it to remove the DRM.

Directive 4
July 6th, 2010, 12:14 AM
In the future will it be possible to play or decode DRM-protected media in Linux media software?

(obviously, paying royalties, if necessary)

obviously, paying royalties isn't necessary

YuiDaoren
July 6th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to support a system that treats paying customers like thieves.

Groucho Marxist
July 6th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to support a system that treats paying customers like thieves.

Exactly. It's like giving a gift with strings attached; the moment that happens, the item in question ceases to be a gift and becomes a burden.

Redo
July 6th, 2010, 01:00 AM

Exactly, I bought DRM music online once, and I've long since lost it forever on my old MP3 player.

Used CD's are cheap enough anyhow, then you can rip it and manage it as you please.

MooPi
July 6th, 2010, 01:01 AM
The sadness I've seen when someone realizes they'r itunes has locked up all their music to one device.

Groucho Marxist
July 6th, 2010, 01:07 AM
The sadness I've seen when someone realizes they'r itunes has locked up all their music to one device.

I was beside myself when I learned that the ~$40 I had spent on songs and videos became essentially useless on my current laptop. There was, however, a silver lining in that I figured out how to strip the DRM within iTunes and saved most of my legally purchased tracks.

original_jamingrit
July 6th, 2010, 02:04 AM
It's possible to do so right now. It's just that you would require proprietary software, and to use it you would either buy it yourself or pirate it, or use its "freeware" version if available.

Spike-X
July 6th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I would like to think that in the future, media companies will realise that DRM simply doesn't work, and abandon it altogether.

I would also like to think that in the future, there might be a lemonade lake and a chocolate tree in my back yard.

proggy
July 6th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I would also like to think that in the future, there might be a lemonade lake and a chocolate tree in my back yard.
Only in books and movies :cry:

Chronon
July 6th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Only in books and movies :cry:

;)

Dustin2128
July 6th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Indeed.