PDA

View Full Version : Absolute beginner in Windows

nothingspecial
July 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have a computer that has a sticker with a windows product key (or whatever it is) on it.

I started with linux and when I acquire a new computer I usually nuke windows before it even boots.

However, my wife`s teaching degree requires her to use some windows software. And those of you who are married will know what you ultimately have to do when instructions come from a higher place ;)

So, I am of the understanding that if you have the key, and you bought the computer, then you have bought windows, and can get an install disk.

But where from, I have looked at the microsoft website and also the Packard Bell website but can find nowhere to download windows7 from. Is there somewhere I can enter my product key and download it from. It came with a windows7 partition, a Vista partition and a recovery partition but I nuked them in favour of Edubuntu and slackware. There were no recovery disks.

Funnily enough, her netbook, which I would prefer to install windows on, came with a recovery disk, but no disk drive. I am assuming that the version of windows on the netbook`s recovery cd will not play well with the far newer desktop (64bit).

What is my best course of action................ or should I just send her down to the library? :P

CharlesA
July 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Normally prebuild PCs have a "recovery partition" on the hard drive that includes Windows and drivers and junk that you can restore. Most machines don't come with "recovery disks" anymore.

If you have an OEM license for Windows, I suppose you could download a Windows 7 ISO, but I wouldn't do that personally.

nothingspecial
July 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I know they have recovery partitions, I just formatted it and installed linux. Then she started a teaching degree for which she needs windows.

I think an extra £30,000 a year is worth it. Surely I can get windows legit, somehow?

RiceMonster
July 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Try calling the manufacturer and see if they'll send you a disk.

CharlesA
July 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Try calling the manufacturer and see if they'll send you a disk.

This. Otherwise, you can get an OEM copy of Win7 Home Premium for around 100 dollars.

If you want to get technical, all you would be doing is downloading a copy of the ISO, since you already have a license, it would still be a legit copy. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to verify if the ISO you downloaded was a RTM copy or one that was messed with. Too risky imho.

mcduck
July 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM
If you have the license key, then you can legally use any suitable disk to make the install, be it borrowed from a friend or downloaded from some torrent site. The license is all that counts.

I doubt that Microsoft would send you a disk, however, and even getting one from your computer's manufacturer may be impossible (even if they agree to send you one, prepare for a long wait). So your best option would be trying to find a friend/relative who has a disk for the same version of Windows your license code is for. And if that fails, you pretty much have to use some torrent download (remember, it's just the license that counts, not where you got the install media).

Of course you will most likely also need to get the drivers for the machine, it's unlikely that Windows would support all the hardware without some third-party drivers. But you should be able to find download package(s) for those from the manufacturer's web site. Or in worst case scenario from each component's manufacturer's web site.

Good luck with the machine. And I feel sorry for you having to install Windows... ;)

cpmman
July 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Download W7iso then validate it using your key. I did that installing it in Virtualbox so I had the best of both worlds.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

philinux
July 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Best way is borrow the appropriate disc. You already paid for the licence. I just did exactly this with XP as recovery partition was toasted.
Also saves doing a large download :)

nothingspecial
July 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
If you have the license key, then you can legally use any suitable disk to make the install, be it borrowed from a friend or downloaded from some torrent site. The license is all that counts.

I doubt that Microsoft would send you a disk, however, and even getting one from your computer's manufacturer may be impossible (even if they agree to send you one, prepare for a long wait). So your best option would be trying to find a friend/relative who has a disk for the same version of Windows your license code is for. And if that fails, you pretty much have to use some torrent download (remember, it's just the license that counts, not where you got the install media).

Of course you will most likely also need to get the drivers for the machine, it's unlikely that Windows would support all the hardware without some third-party drivers. But you should be able to find download package(s) for those from the manufacturer's web site. Or in worst case scenario from each component's manufacturer's web site.

Good luck with the machine. And I feel sorry for you having to install Windows... ;)

So as long as I have a license, it doesn`t matter how I acquire windows? I have heard of this having to download drivers for everything business, it sounds like a nightmare!

Download W7iso then validate it using your key. I did that installing it in Virtualbox so I had the best of both worlds.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

Doing it now, thanks. I think I`ll try the vm route.