PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Desktop slideshow slow KDE

jbo5112
July 5th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'm running a slideshow for my background in KDE, but I had to boost the time from a few minutes to a few hours. Every time it switches my computer comes to a near halt until it is done. Even DVD playback drops to around 1 fps for a few seconds seconds, when I can even see the desktop.

I'm running KDE 4.4.2 with compiz at 1920x1440 on a 3.4 GHz Core 2 Quad, w/ 6GB RAM and a GeForce 8600 GT. The system should be able to handle the load. Even if it is slow, it shouldn't halt a quad core. By comparison, I have a simple single-threaded slideshow program that I wrote, which can zip through the images at 15+ fps while scaling them to full screen.

ankspo71
July 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi,
I have this problem too but not as severe. When I run 'top' in the terminal and manaually change the wallpaper, I can see Xorg jump up to as high as 55% cpu. I think the problem has to do with kwin's compositing, because I can suspend compositing (or disable all 3d effects) and make the problem disappear.

This isn't a fix but it should help the performance out alot.
Try adjusting the graphics effects quality by going to:
Settings > System Settings > Appearance > Style > Fine Tuning;
Then change graphical effects to --> "low display resolution and low cpu".
It makes a big difference on my computer.
Hope that helps.

lkjoel
July 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm running a slideshow for my background in KDE, but I had to boost the time from a few minutes to a few hours. Every time it switches my computer comes to a near halt until it is done. Even DVD playback drops to around 1 fps for a few seconds seconds, when I can even see the desktop.

I'm running KDE 4.4.2 with compiz at 1920x1440 on a 3.4 GHz Core 2 Quad, w/ 6GB RAM and a GeForce 8600 GT. The system should be able to handle the load. Even if it is slow, it shouldn't halt a quad core. By comparison, I have a simple single-threaded slideshow program that I wrote, which can zip through the images at 15+ fps while scaling them to full screen.
Hmm, I have KDE 4 with compiz at 1200*1100 (i think) on a Pentinum III, w/ 2.9GB RAM, and an old video card.
I have everything working properly.

Try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade