PDA

View Full Version : Making the jump

MerlinCoder
July 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about linux. It was so frightening and unfamilier. Over the last couple of weeks, I have managed to set up a web server and today I have just written my first bash script and passed it to crontab to run at 2am every day. It is starting to get familer and easier.

I am really really enjoying Ubuntu. It feels so much more evolved than windows, and I am starting to speed up with the every day things.
I am almost ready to make the jump and wipe off my copy of Windows...however I think I would miss the games.
There are some fantastic guides out there to get some of my favourite games (such as warcraft 3) running. But the game I think I would miss the most is League of Legends.

Were any of you guys an addict to a windows application before you made the jump and how did you cope with losing it?

Something I am hoping to do over the next few weeks is have a good look at the games Ubuntu has to offer, maybe I will find something I prefer!

Frogs Hair
July 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 , Why not have the best of both worlds ? I do find myself using W7 mainly for games and school now . I see no reason to remove an operating system that is already installed and paid for. W7 is only good for the computer it is installed on , so I can't give it away . There are many people on the forums using multiple distros, use what suits your needs .

juancarlospaco
July 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
...and 3 months later, the users open a Thread "Help compiling my Kernel"

:)

betrunkenaffe
July 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM

indeed, I've been using various distros for over a year now and still haven't run a cron job of a script I've written (only script I wrote was for quick remote access through an ssh tunnel on someone else's machine).

MerlinCoder
July 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Haha! lets hope I don't end up taking it that far!
Maybe in a few years time when my C++ gets a little better I will be able to help out on some community projects, that's a hella way off though, best I have ever done is a crappy space invaders clone in SDL.

Khakilang
July 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
That's fast. For me I have been using Linux over a year now and still dependant on GUI to explore around.

MerlinCoder
July 5th, 2010, 04:24 PM
My linux box has a monitor and keyboard but that is only for my sister to use, the rest of the time I use putty to connect to it from my bedroom pc and at work. I havn't had a chance to use it from a GUI point of view really, not in any great detail at least. I would like to though to see what games are available.

mystmaiden
July 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I haven't missed Windows xp at all, which was the last Windows I used regularly. I keep an old Windows 98 box for two little art programs I use once in a great while but for everything else its either Ubuntu or Puppy Linux.

FuturePilot
July 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM

http://xkcd.com/456/

MerlinCoder
July 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
http://xkcd.com/456/

So in 3 weeks I will be using Debian or Gentoo? Interesting :)

Luckily my xorg hasn't broken yet!

chessnerd
July 5th, 2010, 10:21 PM
My laptop has three operating systems on it:

Windows Vista - I use it for gaming, MS Office, and Skype (microphone doesn't work well on Ubuntu)
Windows 7 - I got it for free from the MSDNAA, thought I'd try it out. It may replace Windows Vista if I find the time and patience to repartition my entire system and reinstall it.
Ubuntu 10.04 - my main OS, I use it for web-surfing, coding, and school

There is nothing wrong with dual-booting. All of my systems dual-boot at the moment. Then, you get the "best of both worlds" as they say. Windows for Games, Linux for everything else.

M1ke
July 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
There is nothing wrong with dual-booting. All of my systems dual-boot at the moment. Then, you get the "best of both worlds" as they say. Windows for Games, Linux for everything else.

Exactly this! Frogs Hair and chessnerd have it just right if you like your games. I already paid for a Windows license before upgrading to Ubuntu, so I still put it to use and enjoy the best of both. All I boot Windows for these days is Starcraft and the occasional Oblivion session :)