PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Speeds

porkchop_001
July 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my aluminium Intel iMac (via Boot Camp - so now I have OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu).

I installed my wireless driver via System > Administration > Hardware Drivers but I'm having some difficulty figuring out why it's taking so long to do some things.

For example, I can load up NBA.com - a site that's rather busy with scripts and flash videos etc. - in a few seconds (I'm a Bulls fan), but for some reason when I tried installing Amarok via the Software Center it took appox. 30 minutes to reach just 20%. I'm seeing some inconsistencies across the board and was wondering if there's anything I can do about it?

I read somewhere that people 'downgrade' wireless drivers in cases like this (if I read correctly) and that sometimes helps. According to the Hardware Drivers menu:

Broadcom STA wireless driver:

These package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driverfor use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, andBCM4322-based hardware.

Any help would be great.

P.S. more trivial question: even though I'm connected to my wireless network, the network icon appears in the top bar with an ugly red cross on it. Is there a way I can remove that?

porkchop_001
July 5th, 2010, 01:44 PM
P.P.S. for further clarification, when I stream songs from my Last Fm scrobbler sometimes an entire song will stream perfectly - where as other times it'll stop every 10 seconds and re-buffer the track. I'm clueless!

porkchop_001
July 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hi arnold70roger thanks for your reply.

I'm well aware of how speeds work (I'm an IT graduate). I'm simply a newbie when it comes to Ubuntu so it was just weird that the browser speeds were (on average) great while the downloads were taking forever.

Still not sure what the problem is. Is it worthwhile backtracking with wireless drivers? And if so how does one do that?