PDA

View Full Version : to upgrade to dapper or not to upgrade... that is the question

djlosch
March 30th, 2006, 03:10 AM
im on breezy now with tons of customizations.

i couldnt really find anything outlining new features of dapper besides greater compatibilities.

most likely, i'll just wait until october, but what are some of the big noticeable changes for dapper?

aysiu
March 30th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Dapper comes out in June, not October.

John.Michael.Kane
March 30th, 2006, 03:17 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFlight6?highlight=%28flight%29 heres where it stands as of now. i'm sure theres more to come.

mrgnash
March 30th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Given what I'm going through now... I'd have to say 'no, do *no* upgrade to Dapper.'

djlosch
March 30th, 2006, 03:18 AM
dapper+1 comes out in october (or is scheduled to do so still), but dapper is out in june

manicka
March 30th, 2006, 03:25 AM
If you know how to troubleshoot then an upgrade is a reasonable option. In my experience breezy to dapper is a much easier journey compared to hoary to breezy.

If you unsure then back up your home directory and do a clean install. If /home exists on a different partition then you only have to reformat and clean install the / partition. This maintains all your individual app settings.

djlosch
March 30th, 2006, 03:40 AM
yeah, i have /home on a diff partition.

annoying this is just backing up all my diff conf files.

is there a good way to manage .conf files?

is there a way to find out what i've apt-get install'd (like into a txt file?)

polo_step
March 30th, 2006, 03:41 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFlight6?highlight=%28flight%29 heres where it stands as of now. i'm sure theres more to come.
Boy, I sure hope so! I see nothing (0) about improved wireless. Please tell me I'm missing it somewhere in the list!

I can't believe they'd waste so much time and effort on toys and do-nothing eye candy and still leave wireless at 2002 levels.

](*,)

John.Michael.Kane
March 30th, 2006, 03:53 AM
polo_step wireless fixes would most likely be an under the hood fix that may not be posted about cause it is still being worked on. theres still alot of work left, and bugs being reported. also you have to remember that for most wireless does work. it's just there are some cards with out surport right now.

prizrak
March 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM
From all the talk it would seem that it makes sense to do a clean install of Dapper because as of right now Breezy on most machines is not really "clean". For instance I got the FF1.5 and some other stuff that should come with Dapper anyways.

K.Mandla
March 30th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I've done clean Flight 5 installs on two machines (both nvidia-based Dells) and they're both rock-solid with no hardware conflicts at all.

I find myself reinstalling on the M170 because I have a tendency to tinker with XGL ... and break it. And since it only takes me about 25-30 minutes to reinstall, it's easier to wipe the drive and start over fresh than backtrack, troubleshoot and fix. :mrgreen:

polo_step
March 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
wireless fixes would most likely be an under the hood fix that may not be posted about cause it is still being worked on.
That's good news if it's the case. Here's hoping!

also you have to remember that for most wireless does work.
Not by current standards, not even the "supported" wireless devices. WEP is as obsolete as asbestos, and about as dangerous. Supported means being able to readily access the native WPA/WPA2/AES capabilities of the device on demand on a variety of networks, as required by a working mobile notebook. Anything less means effectively crippled.