PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is it just me or does Google Chrome's scrolling lag?

TheNerdAL
July 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM
So when I scroll using the scrolling wheel on my mouse in Google Chrome, it like lags a bit and it is slow a bit and when I scroll by holding on the scrollbar and scrolling, it's also lags.

Is it just me?

How can I fix that?

Shazzam6999
July 5th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Actually, Firefox's scrolling lags for me and that's why I use chromium.

Just thought I would add that.

TheNerdAL
July 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Firefox scrolling is smooth to me. :p

Noz3001
July 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM

This ^.

Op should try chromium

TheNerdAL
July 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM
This ^.

Op should try chromium

Going to install right now, I was wondering what is better, Chrome or Chromium?

slooksterpsv
July 5th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Mine does it on both Firefox and Chrome, the one it seems to work well on is Opera 10.60 - I like Opera cause it's quick, but Chrome cause it's quick and sleek, I use Chrome, but give Opera a try =D

TheNerdAL
July 5th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Eh it's the same on Chromium, I am going to stick with Chrome and I gave Opera a try but it just doesn't do well for me.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 5th, 2010, 04:17 AM
That is a bit odd. It doesn't happen for me ;)

spupy
July 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hint: it depends how powerful your computer is and what webpage you are viewing. What browser you use does make a small difference.

kellemes
July 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
So when I scroll using the scrolling wheel on my mouse in Google Chrome, it like lags a bit and it is slow a bit and when I scroll by holding on the scrollbar and scrolling, it's also lags.

Is it just me?

How can I fix that?

Maybe the SmoothScroll Extension (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cccpiddacjljmfbbgeimpelpndgpoknn) will fix it?

No issues for me with Chrome 5.0.375.99 beta.. even Opera (long time favorite) can't beat Chrome in responsiveness.

spupy
July 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Maybe the SmoothScroll Extension (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cccpiddacjljmfbbgeimpelpndgpoknn) will fix it?

No issues for me with Chrome 5.0.375.99 beta.. even Opera (long time favorite) can't beat Chrome in responsiveness.

In my experience smooth scroll extensions only make it much more worse if your computer can't handle it.

overdrank
July 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments

jbo5112
July 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hint: it depends how powerful your computer is and what webpage you are viewing. What browser you use does make a small difference.

Yeah, I only have a 3.4 GHz Core 2 Quad w/ 6GB RAM and a GeForce 8600 GT, so of course Chrome's scrolling is rather slow (don't blame my old hard drive, there's no access going on). It could be that I'm running a 1920x1440 screen and compiz, but I doubt that could hold all the blame. Firefox and konqueror still manage to be fast for unbloated web pages.

I'm sure there are web pages written poorly enough to make any machine look slow (notably some myspace accounts), but even there firefox is much faster than it used to be.

spupy
July 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I only have a 3.4 GHz Core 2 Quad w/ 6GB RAM and a GeForce 8600 GT, so of course Chrome's scrolling is rather slow (don't blame my old hard drive, there's no access going on). It could be that I'm running a 1920x1440 screen and compiz, but I doubt that could hold all the blame. Firefox and konqueror still manage to be fast for unbloated web pages.

I'm sure there are web pages written poorly enough to make any machine look slow (notably some myspace accounts), but even there firefox is much faster than it used to be.

Wow, yes, in that case something really is wrong. :O

ikus060
December 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
I confirm the problem. Chrome's scrolling in Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 is lagging. I guess it's related to hardware acceleration.

I have a ThinkPad T510 (i7 2.67Ghz, nVidia 3100M).

I don't experience the same problem using Firefox on the same computer.

white_hat
December 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Can anyone tell me, how this bug was solved?
I have 10.04 32x, NVIDIA Driver Version:195.36.24
when compiz is enabled, all programs, including firefox, work fine, but chrome starts to lag while page scrolling. I tried 7 and 8 version, tried to enable GPU Accelerated Compositing - no result.
Please, remove [solved] status from this thread!

Winter Skies
December 8th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi there I had this problem too.

Scrolling in Google Chrome was laggy on my pc soo i did some testing and it turn out that the nvidia powermizer was to blame.

Just set it to maximum performance and the scrolling lag in google chrome should disappear.

Foxman2k
December 11th, 2010, 01:00 AM
This is still a problem for me too.

It seems like when using the mouse wheel, it takes Chrome a second or 2 to react. Once I'm scrolling, it scrolls fine with no lag.

This did NOT happen on 9.01 and I recently upgraded to 10.01 - now it's a problem....

Foxman2k
December 11th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Firefox smolls smoothly without any delay in response on the same machine...

Alekx
December 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
... it turn out that the nvidia powermizer was to blame.

Just set it to maximum performance and the scrolling lag in google chrome should disappear.

Thanks man, this helped! So I just went to System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server settings -> powermizer and set performance to maximum.

The fun thing is that started to happen for me when I installed new video card, more powerful than my old one, so I was wondering - wtf? :)

albasnians
December 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
No Problem in my Chrome, I would like to use it since November.
Try to refresh, it works to access the page in my second ...

smallpawn
January 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hi there I had this problem too.

Scrolling in Google Chrome was laggy on my pc soo i did some testing and it turn out that the nvidia powermizer was to blame.

Hi just to point out, I had to restart my system after applying this and all went smooth again =)

EDIT: Not valid. Chromium is always laggy after suspension. Firefox doesn't have the problem.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 28th, 2011, 10:28 PM
If you're running a recent build of Chromium, you can try to enable the experimental hardware acceleration stuff. Just head to about:flags. You're looking for GPU Accelerated Compositing and GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D.

Not inherently related to scrolling, but it makes a huge difference with Mozilla's stress test (http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/) and may have some effect on general rendering performance.

ikus060
February 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Related issues :

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=71276

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=13662

dchrono
February 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Maybe the SmoothScroll Extension (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cccpiddacjljmfbbgeimpelpndgpoknn)

this worked for me, I was oh so close to ditching chromium because of the scroll lag.

ty for this!

eucalyptus
March 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi just to point out, I had to restart my system after applying this and all went smooth again =)

EDIT: Not valid. Chromium is always laggy after suspension. Firefox doesn't have the problem.

Hi all,

I'm facing the same problem on Ubuntu 10.04. Chrome scrolling is smooth until the laptop goes to suspend mode (sleep). After which scrolling in chrome becomes really laggy.

The aforementioned extension only reduces the lag a bit, but it's still very choppy and almost unusable.