PDA

View Full Version : Why I have to go back to the dark side.

acrumbacker
July 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I have to say goodbye to OpenSuse and Ubuntu. I was a ubuntu user starting with Hardy Heron up to Karmic and then OpenSuse for a few months. I gave it all I could. With Ubuntu, the deal breaker was the complete lack of functioning with power management that worked in Hardy. I spent months configuring FireFox to work with video and audio files and numerous tweaks. With OpenSuse, it is the unbearably slow internet, general lack of video and audio functionality that just caused me to throw in the towel. A link was provided for me to try numerous network connection fixes but I have to ask why is this issue even necessary?

I have over 13 years supporting technology and even more as a user. I was there from the beginning and have experienced DOS, DR-DOS, every version of Windows (even Windows-286), OS/2, NeXT, and Linux. I simply am tired of searching forum boards for advice on how to make Flash, Audio, and Video play acceptably. Sorry guys, even with my disdain for MS I have to go back. I have work to do and tinkering with an operating system is not being productive. This computer came with XP so I will go back to that version. I really wanted this to work.... Sorry.

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Do not bother to apologize, use what you want. There is no dark side, a lot of respected forums members and Ubuntu contributers use Windows as well. Have a nice day. If you are in the USA, happy 4th.

Sporkman
July 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Sorry to hear that - certain hardware just doesn't work well with linux, just a fact of life when using a niche OS.

mojota
July 5th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Sorry to hear that - certain hardware just doesn't work well with linux, just a fact of life when using a niche OS.

I don't even think Linux has any officially supported hardware does it?

Stancel
July 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Well if you decide to go back to Linux you always have the choice, I am sure Linux will get better, it's not for everyone, for example, if I paid a lot of money for a gaming laptop or something like that chances are I wouldn't install Linux on it.

SunnyRabbiera
July 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Enjoy the viruses, the adware, spyware and 30 day trialware

CJ Master
July 5th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Enjoy an operating system that actually works, is convinient, and can probably suit all of your needs.

mmix
July 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM
http://puredyne.org/about.html

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/7-best-linux-distributions-for.html

Phrea
July 5th, 2010, 03:02 AM
What's the problem?

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Enjoy an operating system that actually works, is convinient, and can probably suit all of your needs.

Grow up. People like you make me hope open source takes down Microsoft.

RiceMonster
July 5th, 2010, 03:10 AM

How was that any less mature than this?

samjh
July 5th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I don't even think Linux has any officially supported hardware does it?

There are lots of hardware officially supported for Linux, but it pales in comparison to hardware supported for Windows or even MacOS.

pyronite
July 5th, 2010, 03:11 AM

It was only a response to the prior post. No more or less inflammatory (except that the opinion doesn't seem to match yours).

McRat
July 5th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Good luck. Hopefully XP will as trouble free as you remember it to be. Funny how time adjusts perspective though.

For far 1'm 3 for 3 on with all Ubuntu machines having sound, flash, and video. Minor network problems, but I resolved those. I've always installed fresh, with no second O/S.

It would be an interesting test before you quit though:

Remove your HDD and set it on the shelf.

Spend $40 on a fresh HDD and put it in.

Do a 100% fresh install of Ubuntu and see if the problems exist.

McRat
July 5th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Computer folk are funny.

Give this a try:

Go to Ford Owners board.

Start a thread: "My Ford is useless, I'm buying a Toyota."

Watch the responses.

If you're not banned first.

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM
It reminds me of the way things used to be. Sort of like rich folks looking down on the poor simply for not being rich. Sure a multi-billion dollar corporation can develop an operating system and leverage THEIR standards to the common folk, who know nothing else. Then I have to put up with endless folk complaining because our Free and Open Source software has to play catch up with those standards. I am not saying one is better, but stating which side I hope stands on top. The OP is fine to choose what they will more power to them, that is what this is all about. The only kind of criticism I tolerate is the constructive kind. Otherwise it is in one ear and out the other. I do not agree with Stallmans views until I run into comments like that.

L4U
July 5th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I simply am tired of searching forum boards for advice on how to make Flash, Audio, and Video play acceptably.
You need Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/). It made EVERYTHING work right out of the box. It was so easy. (Personally, I don't know why most Linuxers don't switch over to Mint!)

Then I'd recommend getting VirtualBox to run XP in Linux just in case you're stuck with having to use certain Windows apps instead of having to do a inconvenient dual boot.

Mint brought me back to Linux. VirtualBox keeps me here.

Stancel
July 5th, 2010, 03:38 AM

There are free anti-virus programs for Microsoft, like Avast.

There are many free programs available too, the trialware I remember downloading was stuff like Paint Shop Pro, but I didn't know about GIMP and that's for Windows too and it's free.

MCVenom
July 5th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Computer folk are funny.

Give this a try:

Go to Ford Owners board.

Start a thread: "My Ford is useless, I'm buying a Toyota."

Watch the responses.

If you're not banned first.
+= The largest measured quantity in the known universe.

TheNerdAL
July 5th, 2010, 03:53 AM
In before possibly being closed by a mod even if I look foolish if it's not. :P

formaldehyde_spoon
July 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM
How was that any less mature than this?

The first(#6) (while unnecessary) didn't imply anything inaccurate, the second(#7) did.
The first was directed primarily against an OS, the second was directed primarily against the previous poster.
I have to say goodbye to OpenSuse and Ubuntu. I was a ubuntu user starting with Hardy Heron up to Karmic and then OpenSuse for a few months. I gave it all I could. With Ubuntu, the deal breaker was the complete lack of functioning with power management that worked in Hardy. I spent months configuring FireFox to work with video and audio files and numerous tweaks. With OpenSuse, it is the unbearably slow internet, general lack of video and audio functionality that just caused me to throw in the towel. A link was provided for me to try numerous network connection fixes but I have to ask why is this issue even necessary?

I have over 13 years supporting technology and even more as a user. I was there from the beginning and have experienced DOS, DR-DOS, every version of Windows (even Windows-286), OS/2, NeXT, and Linux. I simply am tired of searching forum boards for advice on how to make Flash, Audio, and Video play acceptably. Sorry guys, even with my disdain for MS I have to go back. I have work to do and tinkering with an operating system is not being productive. This computer came with XP so I will go back to that version. I really wanted this to work.... Sorry.

No need to apologize, you haven't harmed anyone here (nor elsewhere) in any way, shape or form ;)

Stancel
July 5th, 2010, 04:05 AM
In before possibly being closed by a mod even if I look foolish if it's not. :P

KiwiNZ has a Darth Vader avatar, he probably won't close it because it's about going to the dark side.:p

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I regret my attitude. I expressed my views a bit inaccurately. Further debate is merely meant to cause ire when there should not be.

I honestly do not think that there is anything wrong with Windows and Linux co-existing whatever their market shares are. I am not taking back what I said but merely stating that I was wrong saying it. I apologize, and to Ricemonster in particular, who I have seemed to have offended.

MCVenom
July 5th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I regret my attitude. I expressed my views a bit inaccurately. Further debate is merely meant to cause ire when there should not be.

I honestly do not think that there is anything wrong with Windows and Linux co-existing whatever their market shares are. I am not taking back what I said but merely stating that I was wrong saying it. I apologize, and to Ricemonster in particular, who I have seemed to have offended.
We all have our 'RAGE' moments, no problem dude :P

Timmer1240
July 5th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Its alright Just use whatever works the best for you to each their own choice is a wonderful thing. Im glad were not just stuck with one Universal operating system .I got xp win7 and Ubuntu on this desktop when I get the urge I can boot to windows but Im really enjoying Ubuntu!

RiceMonster
July 5th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I apologize, and to Ricemonster in particular, who I have seemed to have offended.

No need to apologize, I am not offended.

witeshark17
July 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Personally, I'd rather deal with the dev issues in Linux than try to power use and defend a win system... ;)

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Sorry again, that was rather strong word. I was indeed learning towards being offensive. :)

mamamia88
July 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Personally, I'd rather deal with the dev issues in Linux than try to power use and defend a win system... ;)

it's really not that hard if you know what you are doing but whenever i use windows I tend to be paranoid and it ruins the experience.

McRat
July 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM
There is nothing wrong with running any O/S you so desire, but neither is there anything wrong with having an opinion that Microsoft does not have the best interests of the computer community as their primary mission.

It's not an irrational belief, and it's supported historically. Indeed, even recently MS has released public documents as to why you should avoid Linux. And their methods of removing competition from the desktop market had a negative impact on the whole computing industry.

They even breached into the illegal realm when they started dumping XP seats to stop Linux from getting put on netbooks. Yes, it's not legal for a US company to sell products for less than market value in order to stop competition. I'd say that $12 is a bit less than market value for XP.

Where would the computing community be today, if 10 years ago Microsoft just worked on making Windows better instead of making it irreplaceable?

donniezazen
July 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM
My experience is completely different except Netflix and iTunes everything works for me better than windows or mac.

Timmer1240
July 5th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Actually I feel much less vulnerable running linux 5 months now and no problems no viruses malware ect.I WAS more paranoid with windows on these issues because of all the hours I spent cleaning it up and regaining control after my computer was taken out of my control by some driveby download or trojan horse program or worm I had fun!Actually I gained a lot of knowledge about fixing things but lifes too short now!Im enjoying trouble free linux!at least it is for me!One thing Ide recommend for Windows is a sandbox program like sandboxie and run internet facing programs through a sandbox this greatly improved my security on windows!

Timmer1240
July 5th, 2010, 05:05 AM
There is nothing wrong with running any O/S you so desire, but neither is there anything wrong with having an opinion that Microsoft does not have the best interests of the computer community as their primary mission.

It's not an irrational belief, and it's supported historically. Indeed, even recently MS has released public documents as to why you should avoid Linux. And their methods of removing competition from the desktop market had a negative impact on the whole computing industry.

They even breached into the illegal realm when they started dumping XP seats to stop Linux from getting put on netbooks. Yes, it's not legal for a US company to sell products for less than market value in order to stop competition. I'd say that $12 is a bit less than market value for XP.

Where would the computing community be today, if 10 years ago Microsoft just worked on making Windows better instead of making it irreplaceable?

Good points!

YuiDaoren
July 5th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Every forum needs a sticky called "Leaving Linux? Read this!"

So, you've decided to stop using Linux based OSs. There are a few things you need to know before you do:

You owe no one an explanation. What tools you use is a matter for you to decide.
You are not betraying anyone. It's software, not an ideology.
Yes, F/LOSS is an ideology of sorts. Doesn't mean you have to stick with it even when it's not working out.
There is no absolute best OS - all OSs have their problems and their strengths. Linux based OSs aren't "the best", though they may be the best for a particular person or task. Same goes for the rest.
You're always welcome back. It's a community, not a fan club. (Despite the fan boys.)

Thanks for using Linux, Tux appreciates it. :D

Stancel
July 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
MAYBE it's an old graphics driver that is causing problems with the Flash video? A driver upgrade sounds like a solution....

When I hear "Flash, Audio, and Video" problems that's what I'm thinking....I'll admit without shame that I am merely a 21 year old whose first and only Linux distro is Ubuntu and who is still very much a n00b to highly technical stuff, but that's what it seems like to me.

I know how frustrating it can be because I've been there. But I have found solutions...

Although I still haven't found out how to fix Lucid wireless connectivity issues. I think I'll cry tears of joy if I ever find out how to fix that crap. I am NOT going to upgrade to Lucid again unless I am certain I will be able to fix that. Good thing I never threw away the Jaunty Live CD or I would have been stuck with not being able to connect to the Internet.

Sean Moran
July 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
You need Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/). It made EVERYTHING work right out of the box. It was so easy. (Personally, I don't know why most Linuxers don't switch over to Mint!)

Then I'd recommend getting VirtualBox (http://VirtualBox) to run XP in Linux just in case you're stuck with having to use certain Windows apps instead of having to do a inconvenient dual boot.

Mint brought me back to Linux. VirtualBox keeps me here.

SOLD!

I've heard about it here last year, and one friend has been trying to convince me to download a DVD and give Mint a try, but I've been rather stubborn in sticking with Ubuntu, although Lucid seemed to have a couple of bugs in the panel icons (notification and window list needed a microscope to find the right click-zone, and I like my volumen knob but don't like Empathy in my top panel), so I stuck with Karmic, but there comes a time when we must act on the realities if the current situation, and chart our course in a new direction.

3 hrs to go at 66 kb/s.

Wish me luck and thanks for the good idea :popcorn:, hopefully. (I hope Mint has SeaMonkey.)

axel668
July 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM
that's the way it goes, sometimes ... np with going back to "the dark side" if things don't work out for you right now, just promise to come back and try again in a year or two ;)

might take some time, me, for example, I started out with Linux back in the 90s and was only able to COMPLETELY switch over to Linux middle of last year (with a Windows box still available in the house).

PS: About Mint, course Mint has Seamonkey, Mint has EVERYTHING that Ubuntu has ... it's actually the Ubuntu Repos with a few tools on top and flash / multimedia codecs installed by default. I'm using Mint, but I'd still consider myself an Ubuntu user, because it's, well, all Ubuntu underneath

chriswyatt
July 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Every forum needs a sticky called "Leaving Linux? Read this!"

So, you've decided to stop using Linux based OSs. There are a few things you need to know before you do:

You owe no one an explanation. What tools you use is a matter for you to decide.
You are not betraying anyone. It's software, not an ideology.
Yes, F/LOSS is an ideology of sorts. Doesn't mean you have to stick with it even when it's not working out.
There is no absolute best OS - all OSs have their problems and their strengths. Linux based OSs aren't "the best", though they may be the best for a particular person or task. Same goes for the rest.
You're always welcome back. It's a community, not a fan club. (Despite the fan boys.)

Thanks for using Linux, Tux appreciates it. :D

Yeah, I must admit these "I'm so sorry but I just can't take it any more, sob sob" threads kind of irritate me a bit. Use what's best for you, linux doesn't work with all hardware, there are many different distros to try etc. etc..

overdrank
July 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
On that note. Thread closed. Good luck.