PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial formats

SoFl W
July 5th, 2010, 01:43 AM
So how many people like text tutorials and how many like video tutorials?

What I don't like about video tutorials...
1) The person always has some annoying monotone voice.
2) If you don't understand something they said, you are screwed.
3) Difficult to rewind, pause, etc.
4) Can't watch the video and what you are doing at the same time.
5) Much easier to follow along and review text than trying to find your place in a video.
and for some reason...
6) people feel the need to make a seven minute tutorial, when five lines of simple text would do.

What I do like about them.
1) If you are truly lost, and the creator of the tutorial knows something about video creation and quality video editing they can be helpful. These are rare.

What do you prefer?

rollin
July 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
So how many people like text tutorials and how many like video tutorials?

What I don't like about video tutorials...
1) The person always has some annoying monotone voice.
2) If you don't understand something they said, you are screwed.
3) Difficult to rewind, pause, etc.
4) Can't watch the video and what you are doing at the same time.
5) Much easier to follow along and review text than trying to find your place in a video.
and for some reason...
6) people feel the need to make a seven minute tutorial, when five lines of simple text would do.

+1

Interesting thread and I'd have to go with "HTML or text with pictures if needed". Totally agree with your points. Video is a nightmare format for cross reference or interpreting written commands even if there is text in the video, it either is too blurry or fast or painfully slow. Lol ](*,)

Frogs Hair
July 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I have used all the above , I have difficulty finding good videos . Most of what I find on Youtube are Compiz and dock demonstrations that don't explain anything.

samjh
July 5th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Usually HTML or PDF. Definitely PDF if the tutorial concerns hardware, because the computer will usually be switched off when actually using the tutorial.

Like the OP, I don't like video tutes unless they are well presented. Grainy screen captures, bad microphone setup, and just plain awful verbal presentation (not speaking clearly, etc) put me off.

SoFl W
July 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I am glad to see I am not the only one that finds video tutorials annoying. I think we are moving to a world where people can't read, they need to see it in video format.

I was watching a beginners tutorial last night. I couldn't figure out how the person making the video got to the starting point of the video. He had an object on his workspace but didn't explain how he got that far.
I didn't understand if he said, "H", "A", or "8", he had his set up in some kind of special mode because he would say "press (some key)" to do something but my setup wouldn't do it, then he said that key also functions as (some other function) and showed how the same key did what it was doing for me, but never explained how to switch between the functions of that one key. UGH.

Between the constant pausing, rewinding, replaying, and swapping between the video player window and the window of the application I could only handle about 15 minutes of the 40 minute video.

I did learn a few things but the frustration was not worth it, half of it wasn't important to the very beginner. A simple web page/pdf would have been quicker.

V for Vincent
July 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM
To use an aphorism - the medium is the message. There's no single answer because there's different types of information, which need to be presented in different ways.

Marlonsm
July 5th, 2010, 02:35 PM
HTML tutorials are the best, IMO. Easiest to do, to follow and to find.
But bonus points if linked to a good video demonstration.

Lucradia
July 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
HTML/Text for me. I hate video tutorials too.

juancarlospaco
July 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Video HTML5 with PDF, ODF, HTML Tutorial download.

Lucradia
July 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Video HTML5 with PDF, ODF, HTML Tutorial download.

Many of those have text tutorials that will tell you to look at the video at some points.

*sigh*

JDShu
July 5th, 2010, 06:24 PM
to use an aphorism - the medium is the message. There's no single answer because there's different types of information, which need to be presented in different ways.

+1

MindSz
July 5th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I usually prefer written material. Whether it's HTML, PDF, or plan text I don't care.

SoFl W
July 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
So if the majority of people seem to like something other than video, why are so many people doing video only?

Spr0k3t
July 22nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
It greatly depends on the target of the tutorial. If I'm doing something like, trying to hack my PSP for the first time using a magic stick and pandora battery, a video would be best. If I need to study something that requires going back and forth over zealous information regarding a programming language, html (so I can make my own notes on my own created pages). Rarely do I ever want PDF... unless the PDF file is detailing the manufacturers operation guidelines of a piece of hardware.

So, all mediums for me. Some are better suited to the target than others.