PDA

View Full Version : AMD lures high-ranking Itanium designer

mstlyevil
March 30th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Looks like more proof that AMD has come of age. This is a huge gain for AMD and may signal that AMD is starting to design it's next generation CPU architechture. Here is the article from Cnet.

AMD lures high-ranking Itanium designer (http://news.com.com/AMD+lures+high-ranking+Itanium+designer/2100-1006_3-6055595.html?tag=nefd.top)

ispmarin
March 30th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Well, Itanium is still a mistery: why does Intel keeps trying to sell those?

mstlyevil
March 30th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Well, Itanium is still a mistery: why does Intel keeps trying to sell those?

They just hate for billions of dollars to go down the tubes.

ispmarin
March 30th, 2006, 02:55 AM
But it is:
a) with inferior performance;
b) very expensive;
c) almost no support;
d) loaded with tons of pipelines...
Intel just keeps pushing it's 'old" technology and is not developing (or at least, showing) new designs, like AMD.

mstlyevil
March 30th, 2006, 03:00 AM
But it is:
a) with inferior performance;
b) very expensive;
c) almost no support;
d) loaded with tons of pipelines...
Intel just keeps pushing it's 'old" technology and is not developing (or at least, showing) new designs, like AMD.

Actually there are a ton of things the Itanium is better at than x86. The problem is it does not allow existing software for x86 servers to be used. It is just too expensive to migrate to even for the advantages it may provide.

ispmarin
March 30th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I agree, I was joking about the pipeline thing (it is an advantage.). And the x86 architecture is the clearest example of patch-with-glue-and-put-it-to-work, but none architecture proposed gained enought momento to face it. Even the x86-64, that is similar and somewhat back-compatible with x86 is having some troubles to be accepted.
But I was talking about the development cycle of AMD and intel. Even keeping the same architecture, AMD is showing more advanges in dye level than intel, like lower temperatures and same processing capabilites at lower cpu frequencies, and also the hypertransport memory architecture (witch is way better than intel old south-north architecture).