PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual Booting Ubuntu and Windows XP on a Macbook Pro (no Mac partition)

alas-poor-yorick
July 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I have an old Macbook Pro (1,1) that I want to dual boot in XP and Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid. I had been dual booting OSX and Ubuntu, with rEFIt. Today I deleted the mac partition, after backing everything up of course.
It booted from the XP cd, formatted the partition correctly, but would not boot. ("Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.")

Now it won't boot from any cd (xp or several versions of Ubuntu), holding down alt-option only displays a hard disk labeled Windows (and no cd), holding down c doesn't work, rEFIt does not come up, and I don't know what to do. How can I get it to boot from cd, and/or boot into any partition correctly?

Thanks. Sorry if this is already somewhere - if it is I couldn't find it.

alas-poor-yorick
July 6th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Bump? I miss my computer... :(

Update: I tried to boot from the mac cd, but now it won't eject and holding down alt-option does nothing.

alas-poor-yorick
August 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
Well, it seems that my CD drive was broken. Had I been able to boot from CD, I think the solution would have been to boot from a rEFIt cd, install rEFIt to the EFI partition, boot into Ubuntu, and configure grub to boot Windows. What I ended up doing was opening up the computer to get the cd out, and then reinstalling ubuntu via usb cd drive. I haven't been able to set up a windows partition because the computer will not consistently boot from even a usb cd drive, but virtualbox works well enough for my purposes.