PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] manual monitor configuration in 10.04

engine
July 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
So, despite the reasonable assertion that linux is a good way to get modern performance out of older hardware, 10.04 seems a bit picky about graphics chipsets. Thanks to various knowledgeable contributors, I think I've found out what to do ...

Still three questions, though:

the release notes suggest disabling KMS by "booting with the 'nomodeset' option" ‒ how do I do that?
the release note also say that if disabling KMS is the answer, I can edit my grub config to make 'nomodeset' permanent. How do I find out whether I'm using grub 1 or grub 2?
the 9.10 live CD recognised my Philips 190S monitor and set the resolution to 1280 * 1024 ‒ an Internet-based installation of 10.04 did not recognise the monitor. Is this part of the same problem?

Thanks in advance!

labinnsw
July 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM
the release notes suggest disabling KMS by "booting with the 'nomodeset' option" ‒ how do I do that?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9209655&postcount=5

the release note also say that if disabling KMS is the answer, I can edit my grub config to make 'nomodeset' permanent. How do I find out whether I'm using grub 1 or grub 2?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9256793&postcount=17

efflandt
July 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
You can try nomodeset boot parameter by hitting "e" at the grub menu and adding that parameter after quiet splash (or if that does not work, try deleting quiet splash and adding nomodeset, so you could see boot messages).

When you boot, if you see grub 1.98, that is the default grub2 used by 10.04. You would not have grub1 (0.97) unless you did an upgraded from 9.04 or earlier at some point, instead of fresh install. If you have the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg, you are using grub2. But do not edit that, edit /etc/default/grub and use sudo with your editor (or gksu gedit) to make changes to that.

engine
July 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for that! So far, I've replaced quietsplash with nomodeset, and that seems to have solved the problem. From your tip, I'll now cautiously try putting quietsplash back in to hide the boot messages ‒ nothing there I understand anyway <g>