PDA

View Full Version : What's going on?

irv
July 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
When I look at "What's going on?" in the forum, I find something like this:
Currently Active Users: 8458 (414 members and 7813 guests and 231 Spiders)
I know there is a lot of activity going on out here, but If you are not a member then you can't post. Does this mean that we have over 7 thousand non-members (almost 8 thousand) looking at what is going on out here?

55 62 75 6E 74 75 6D 65
July 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I am interested to find out. Google uses spiders to probe web content. I don't know if that is what is being referred to.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/search-engine1.htm

zircon214
July 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
That's to be expected. Read this article: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html

TheStroj
July 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Nothing new. People are looking for help and when they find it they are gone.

It should be made that you can only read Ubuntu forums when registered + logged in :D

mojota
July 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM
It also may be the Admins who fudge the numbers.

irv
July 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Nothing new. People are looking for help and when they find it they are gone.

It should be made that you can only read Ubuntu forums when registered + logged in :D

By leaving the forum open to all to see, I believe it help too show how wonderful and helpful this forum is, and it is attracting more user to Ubuntu. Just like the link listed above you will will always have lurker about.

ronnielsen1
July 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
By leaving the forum open to all to see, I believe it help too show how wonderful and helpful this forum is, and it is attracting more user to Ubuntu. Just like the link listed above you will will always have lurker about.
Agree. That's frustrating having to register for a forum to be able to search

pommie
July 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I was a Lurker for about two years before I could not find what I wanted and had to ask a question :D

Its the ones that know how to use the search function that lurk, and even when registered and logged on still lurk for the most part ):P

Cheers David

irv
July 4th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I was a Lurker for about two years before I could not find what I wanted and had to ask a question :D

Its the ones that know how to use the search function that lurk, and even when registered and logged on still lurk for the most part ):P

Cheers David

I guess I join right away because I could never find an answer to my question. Maybe I should start and new thread to ask how to search and find what I am looking for on this forum?

donato roque
July 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Remember that everything in the forum is searchable with google etc. People have not heard of the community in general so the numbers just points to the source of entry for most people who wanted help. For most people they do a google search and clicked the ubuntu forum link.

I don't agree to registration and members only principle. That's not what open source is. People just want some answers. Those answers should be free (as in free beer and free speech).

koenn
July 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I guess I join right away because I could never find an answer to my question. Maybe I should start and new thread to ask how to search and find what I am looking for on this forum?

best way to search these forums is google.

in the google search bar, just add site:ubuntuforums.org as one of your search terms

irv
July 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
best way to search these forums is google.

in the google search bar, just add site:ubuntuforums.org as one of your search terms

Great tip: I have been doing Google Searches but never used the site:ubuntuforums.org before the search.

koenn
July 4th, 2010, 07:58 PM
:)