PDA

View Full Version : Ah... I forgot how great coding was...

chessnerd
July 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM
:D Coding is just awesome! :D

I haven't done any real coding since April, when school ended for the summer, and I just started on a project again. It feels great. Why don't I code more? I love coding!

Maybe because I don't have projects... If you guys want you can give me project suggestions. I have two years of Java experience and about a month of self-taught Python.

However, this isn't a plea for projects. It is a fanboi thread about coding.:P

Don't you guys agree that coding is amazingly and awesomely fun and cool?!?! :)

---

If you are interested in hearing about my project, I'm currently coding a little FPS. It will probably be quite lame, but it has a fun back-story:

My mother loves Farmville, and my dad sometimes comments about her obsession with that game. One day, he made a suggestion: combine Call of Duty with Farville so that Panzer Tanks can roll across the fields and the little farm houses can be bombed and such. My mother didn't care for the idea, but I thought it was hilarious.

So, after months of this being an inside joke between us, I'm making an FPS set in the Farville universe and I'm going to show it to him when I finish. I might also show my mom... ;)

If I like how it turns out, I'll post it here so you guys can frag some Farmville-ians too. :)

JDShu
July 4th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Me too :D I love creating things, but I have no artistic skills. Coding allows me to fulfill my creative needs instead :D

rabbotz
July 4th, 2010, 07:05 AM

no.

chessnerd
July 4th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Me too :D I love creating things, but I have no artistic skills. Coding allows me to fulfill my creative needs instead :D

Yeah, even my handwriting is terrible. Coding is pretty much the only "art" I have any real level of skill in.

no.
Wow, you're even more of a buzz-kill than Buzz Killington...

rabbotz
July 4th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah, even my handwriting is terrible. Coding is pretty much the only "art" I have any real level of skill in.

Wow, you're even more of a buzz-kill than Buzz Killington...

you asked a question, you got an answer :P

earthpigg
July 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Your family reminds me a bit of my own, FarmVille and all. The most critical test of any new release of Ubuntu, prior to the mom deployment, is the FarmVille and pogo.com test...

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I've been planning to attempt to make a noscript extension for chromium, unfortunately I'm not good at coding anything but html and the more basic aspects of python.

GeneralZod
July 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM
It feels great. Why don't I code more? I love coding!

I keep asking myself this same question: I really love it, but go for long stretches without doing it (in my spare time, at least). Very odd :)

Xianath
July 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
My team needs some automation testing done to get their job back on track. Unfortunately they all code in C and this particular piece is much more suited to a higher generation language. The Automation team is busy with other stuff and I can't borrow a single dev anywhere, I rolled up my sleeves and started coding it (in Java). Went out to the smoking area to check on the recent gossip, decided to share my excitement with some of the devs, and got shot down from the sky! "Since when do PMs code? This is headed for disaster! Don't you have any PM work to do?"

I guess the ancient proverb is right: "Never trust a software engineer with a screwdriver, a hardware engineer with a patch, and a manager with a compiler." D'oh! i'm still doing it, but only 'cos it needs to be done. They took my fun away :(

Bachstelze
July 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM

With moderation, yes. This is why I'll never program for a job. If I had to just spit code all day long, I would get bored very quickly.

As a project, you can try this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1522519), it is guaranteed fun. :p It's mostly tailored for C, though, but you should be able to find the libraries to do it in Java or Python (although you might miss out a lot of the fun).

ELD
July 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I kinda feel like this now and then i get random spurts of "coder energy" and add some random needed feature to GamingOnLinux (http://www.gamingonlinux.info).

Problem is recently because of full time work when i get home i get coder-block and just can't bring myself to do any :(

mcphargus
July 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
"...Don't you have any PM work to do?"

Illegitimi non carborundum. Forget about those guys. Some people are wired for development, and if you catch that spark, fuel it. Coding is a roller-coaster. One minute you're destroying your keyboard, the next minute you're enjoying a well-deserved victory smoke (or cookie).

Your team and other benefactors will thank you when you've handled what the automation team didn't have time for or didn't think was important enough for their ownership. Keep codin! Release on Launchpad you're spare-time stuff, or the stuff you write at work if your company allows it. Spreading your code around is a great way to improve it and yourself.

d3v1150m471c
July 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
i like writing some stuff if i think it will actually be of use to more than just myself over an extended period of time. otherwise it's not worth the effort put into it.

d3v1150m471c
July 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum. Forget about those guys. Some people are wired for development, and if you catch that spark, fuel it. Coding is a roller-coaster. One minute you're destroying your keyboard, the next minute you're enjoying a well-deserved victory smoke (or cookie).

Your team and other benefactors will thank you when you've handled what the automation team didn't have time for or didn't think was important enough for their ownership. Keep codin! Release on Launchpad you're spare-time stuff, or the stuff you write at work if your company allows it. Spreading your code around is a great way to improve it and yourself.

well said.

Xianath
July 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM

Wow, Latin! 9th grade was such a long time ago! Thankfully, Google told me why it made little sense at first :)

I know all about being wired for coding. I've been doing it since I was six. Never did it for a living, though, that would take all the fun from it. And yes, I am going to finish that off, because I'm almost there (in the boring part already, actually). I'm also going to release it to a major open-source project, if higher management approves (don't see a reason not to -- it's a tool, doesn't contain proprietary information. Test cases, on the other hand...)

My next project will be a brush-up on C more than anything else. There are three open-source projects like it but they all do different parts of what I'd like it to do, so I'll try to merge them and see if I can jolt Frankenstein to life. After today's "one-of-these-conversations" I'm probably looking at a lot more spare time on my hands.