PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu and Rekonq

-humanaut-
July 4th, 2010, 05:40 AM
This is just kind of a rant I suppose but anyway here it goes...

Why is the Kubuntu team making Rekonq the default browser for Maverick? I myself am I huge fan of Konqueror I use it everyday for generally browsing plus I use the File browser integration quite a bit. Considering the very beta quality of Rekonq I can't understand the switch Rekonq is really just a bad version of Chrome/Chromium it's really not very stable mimics chromes design and yet has none of the benefits of Chrome (speed,stability)
I doesn't make sense to me why the just don't include firefox with it instead of the installer and keep Konqueror which is still being actively developed and the way I see it if Khtml is the parent of webkit I can't see any real reason why It can't surpass webkit in time. Anyone else in the Save Konqueror camp?

madjr
July 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
is yet another web engine worth spending resources on ?

the engine thingies are getting more and more complicated every day, specially with all the complex html5 stuff

i never did like konqueror, it mimics windows explorer/ie too much for my taste (which i didnt like in windows either), and everytime i tried it was kinda buggy and many sites weren't compatible.

i know where you're coming from and change is hard, but you gotta see their point of view.

Shazzam6999
July 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I actually liked Konqueror as the default file manager way back when. Is it just Kubuntu making this change?

rabbotz
July 4th, 2010, 06:53 AM
This is just kind of a rant I suppose but anyway here it goes...

Why is the Kubuntu team making Rekonq the default browser for Maverick? I myself am I huge fan of Konqueror I use it everyday for generally browsing plus I use the File browser integration quite a bit. Considering the very beta quality of Rekonq I can't understand the switch Rekonq is really just a bad version of Chrome/Chromium it's really not very stable mimics chromes design and yet has none of the benefits of Chrome (speed,stability)
I doesn't make sense to me why the just don't include firefox with it instead of the installer and keep Konqueror which is still being actively developed and the way I see it if Khtml is the parent of webkit I can't see any real reason why It can't surpass webkit in time. Anyone else in the Save Konqueror camp?

unless nspluginviewer gets fixed, this is actually a step backwards.

GeneralZod
July 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Leaving aside your rather subjective opinions on Rekonq:

I doesn't make sense to me why the just don't include firefox with it instead of the installer

Kubuntu doesn't include "GTK" apps, just as Ubuntu doesn't include Qt apps.

and keep Konqueror which is still being actively developed

Konqueror itself gets a miniscule amount of development here and there. Khtml is perennially understaffed. Calling either "actively developed" is stretching things, somewhat.

and the way I see it if Khtml is the parent of webkit I can't see any real reason why It can't surpass webkit in time.

That logic makes no sense, and also:

- Number of people working full-time on Webkit: many, from many different companies;
- Number of people working full-time on Khtml: 0.

I actually liked Konqueror as the default file manager way back when. Is it just Kubuntu making this change?

I haven't heard any firms plans for KDE making Rekonq the default browser, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. As time goes by, I would imagine that, at least, they will set kdewebkit (instead of khtml) as the rendering engine, when it is more mature. This is pure speculation on my part, though.

kaldor
July 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I love Konqueror... too bad it sucks ;)

I always tried to enjoy using Konqueror. I love the way it works, but I always run into lots of issues. Always some sort of crashing, freezing or website problems.

Rekonq may not be a bad idea.

capink
July 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM
rekonq is not yet there but it is heading in the right direction. It uses webkit. Also it is getting chrome extension support soon.

JP121
July 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
When I use Kubuntu, I use Chromium, so I don't really care what happens with Konqueror.

-humanaut-
July 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Alot of problems with Konqueror can be fixed if you just switch what browser it identifies as for example if you go to www.yahoo.com it wont load if you have it ID'd as Mozilla or IE it loads fine. It's kind of interesting I think even though I like Khtml the webkit plugin for konqueror should be great and should take priority over rekonq rekonq has a nasty habit of crashing.

mojota
July 4th, 2010, 09:28 PM
They can take a leaf out of the OS X book here and make one app for one job only, konqueror does it all, like a jack of all trades master of none.

-humanaut-
July 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post It's not the change that bothers me I embrace change (hell, I've been using KDE since 3.x days and I loved the change to KDE 4) My problem is Rekonq is not adequate it scores relativity poor on V8 & Sunspider javascript benchmarks and it crashes alot if the Kubuntu devolpers wanted to switch the default browser and stick with qt maybe they should consider something more stable like Arora (which atleast has spell check)

Islington
July 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
like Arora (which atleast has spell check)

A default browser needs to be integrated though, arora being a qt browser will never fully fit in. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/rekonq/Roadmap

I think the roadmap looks quite good, but all the changes/improvements made to qtwebkit(used in arora) will show up in rek, I believe.

MCVenom
July 5th, 2010, 03:59 AM

I think Firefox uses XUL. Also I think there was a plugin to better integrate it with KDE...

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Rekonq seems interesting so far. Though it seems like a largely unambitious project. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it being the default of a popular OS seems to ask for a bit of work. :)

neoargon
July 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
It's worth making rekonq the default if it were stable . It's really unstable . Crashes too much . Doesn't display some sites well(even the blog of rekonq itself . Can't comment in that site) .

Otherwise it's a nice decision . In my opinion, making konqueror with webkit rendering engine as default untill rekonq is ready would be the best idea .

neoargon
July 5th, 2010, 06:00 AM
It is not EXACTLY true that konqueror is not actively developed . It got webkit backend in kde 4.5. Will get speeddials in the next version

-humanaut-
July 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
It is not EXACTLY true that konqueror is not actively developed . It got webkit backend in kde 4.5. Will get speeddials in the next version

How is the webkit in Konqueror on 4.5? I'm using 4.4.5 and can't seem to implement right or something it's really unstable right now I just have the Browser ID'd as Mozilla so It works pretty much flawless with Khtml

RJARRRPCGP
July 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
i never did like konqueror, it mimics windows explorer/ie too much for my taste

Same here, Konqueror was slllloooowwww!

buntunub
November 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Using Rekonq version 0.6.1 (same version used in Maverick) on Lucid and its fantastic. It does not seem to be able to remember username/passwords type info or clipboard type stuff on the install I have, although it does do all that stuff fine in Kubuntu Maverick. Not sure why but probably the ppa package I used was not packaged properly. Appreciate if anyone has a fix for this or a better ppa.

3Miro
November 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Browsing is a weak spot of KDE. Both Firefox and Chromium are GTK based. The native Konqueror lacked important features (like auto-reload on gmail web-page). Rekonq looks very promising so far. I just hope it doesn't end up like Midori, incredibly powerful, but without some very important addons (like flashblock).

buntunub
November 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Update to my last post...

I used ppasearch to grab the daily build ppa for rekonq -

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yoann-laissus/rekonq-ppa/ubuntu

and pulled in the latest build, which is 0.6.53, and that fixed the issue with clipboard and username/passwords. Flash websites run flawless, and I have tested the gamut of all the typical problem sites like hulu and cspan which konqueror never was able to handle. This browser is a real winner. Has all the snap and pizzazz of Chromium and fully integrates webkit into KDE. Love it.

neoargon
November 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
Rekonq actually works and is reasonably fast . So I think including a modern browser is reasonable

CraigPaleo
November 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
I wasn't too sure at first but now I love Rekonq!

It's like having a native chromium!

TheNessus
November 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
Leaving aside your rather subjective opinions on Rekonq:

Opera integrates with QT, they can use that instead then.