PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] close, maximize, and minimize windows and the Application title bar disappear

ChrisEiffel
July 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I am using GNOME Ubuntu 64 bit Lucid Lynx with Cairo Dock, Compiz Fusion, Screenlets

Sometimes when I start up linux the buttons to close, maximize, and minimize windows and the Application title bar disappear. Restarting usually fixes the problem.

Do you have any ideas why this would happen? Is there a command that will restart gnome without having to restart the computer?

Thanks

vangop
July 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hi!
Depending on what window decoration engine you use, you need to run (Alt+F2):

compiz --replace or

emerald --replace

I don't know why it crashes though.

ChrisEiffel
July 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
When my computer does it again it'll try the replace command and post back my results.

Thanks!

yossell
July 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM
if it's happening with compiz then you could fire up the compiz settings manager (ccsm from terminal) and have a look at the window decorations settings under effects.

behzadsh
July 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM
same problem with lucid 32bit. and it will solve by compiz --replace.

but why this happens sometimes? how we can solve this?

ChrisEiffel
July 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
The compiz --replace worked great thanks!

egervari
May 11th, 2011, 09:20 PM
This works... but why is this a problem even in May of 2011? Was this not fixed? I got this error 4 times in 2 days :(

Sounds like a bug everyone is going to get. I'm using 11.04 64-bit

rabla
May 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I get this bug a few times every day. The 11.04 release is very dissapointing. :(

NormanFLinux
May 16th, 2011, 12:29 PM
With the old netbook remix, the bars and panels disappeared in maximus when running a compositing engine.

The workaround was to shut off decorate. After that, everything stayed up.

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I get this bug a few times every day. The 11.04 release is very dissapointing. :(

Hi, you can not enable any effect in compiz when running unity, if you want compiz you need to log out and hit your user name and go to the bottom of the screen and click ubuntu classic and you can enable effects, I am running the cube and full effects in classic mode no problem at all. Compiz was not meant to be used with effects enabled in unity.Also you need to know that this is the first release with changes in the way ubuntu handles things, so it will get better as time goes on.:D

Copper Bezel
May 17th, 2011, 03:48 AM
A lot of old posts getting dredged up today.

wildmanne39, the original post referred to 10.04, not 10.10, when the Mutter Unity was implemented. Now, of course, with Compiz Unity, there's no conflict between Unity and the other Compiz effects.

2nanfer
July 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hi, just an observation. The problem still persists in Natty to date, I dont know if the effects I use from Compiz that are uncompatible but it is a daily issue. I use keyboard shortcuts and tab+mouse to drag windows.