PDA

View Full Version : The Year Of The Linux… Everything Else

Sporkman
July 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Let’s face it. Linux is just not going to make much of a dent on the desktop. We simply cannot compete with Microsoft’s marketing power (who has all the manufacturers sewn up), nor people’s unwillingness to change. Linux is not Windows, it’s fair to say. All of these articles which come out saying things like, “Linux needs to be more like Windows”, are just utter rubbish. Linux is Linux, and should concentrate on being Linux. That’s not to say that we can’t make things easier, but the bottom line is we should be making great software for us, not to try and win converts...

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7817/1.html

Timmer1240
July 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Linux is for people who choose it and choice is what its all about!If you choose windows fine OSX fine Linux in any flavor fine to each their own and we will all be happy!Use what your comfortable with!

dragos240
July 4th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Yep. This is a meaningful post i'm making right here.

OwenHell
July 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
their is no such thing as the year of Linux or the year of macs
or the year of window. I can say the past four years are not windows
years.

NOT to take away from Linux epic achievement
if i had to put it in a year it would be 1991
remember Linux started with one man 19 years ago
in a Finland basement only supporting AT-hard-disks
from that it is now being sold on dell desktop
all over the US and running supper computer all
over the world and it got to be this from
CHOICE, To chose the red pill too chose to think and learn
different.

THE YEAR OF LINUX is the year you chose
I chose the birth year 1991
my discover of this 8.10 the year I celebrate the right of choice

CAN I GET A AMAIN!!

Dustin2128
July 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
linux is not windows, it’s fair to say. All of these articles which come out saying things like, “linux needs to be more like windows”, are just utter rubbish. Linux is linux, and should concentrate on being linux. That’s not to say that we can’t make things easier, but the bottom line is we should be making great software for us, not to try and win converts...
+ 9001

MechaMechanism
July 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Year of the Linux... Aww man, not again, another time loo... > Year of the Linux... Aww man, not again, another time loo... > Year of the Linux... Aww man, not again, another time loo... > Year of the Linux... Aww man, not again, another time loo...

Trust the Doctor to save us from ad infinitum somehow.

BuffaloX
July 8th, 2010, 12:20 AM
their is no such thing as the year of Linux or the year of macs
or the year of window. I can say the past four years are not windows
years.

To me it was pretty clear that 1990 was the year of Windows.
When Windows 3.0 came out, it pretty soon outsold every OS on the planet.

Today a similar achievement is probably impossible. Since there is no similar killer feature as the graphical user interface/multitasking was, combined with the maturity of computers that enabled them to finally run it decently, and a very high level of compatibility with old software.

I can't see how that killer combo would be possible today.

WinterMadness
July 8th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Linux software should be made with the intention of making the user experience as simple and logical as possible without punishing those who wish to use the more complex features.