PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] DELL COMPUTER, bAD SECTORS, CANT USE WINDOWS, INSTALLING UBUNU!

Burnsession
July 4th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Im not a beginner or an expert in Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu. My cousin computer is a dell. before they can use windows xp, but its slow as hell, so i boot from a usb with Ubuntu (gnome) so its fast as hell. I could not partition because of bad sectors even though i used chkdisk twice and it so claims it block 2 sectors.on ubuntu, I dont remember exactly but i used a command on the program i believe its called ntfstools. after that when i start on windows there will only a small line (-) in the top right cornerso i guess i could not use it no more. The install option on ubuntu only allows me to erase the hard drive and install ubuntu, my guess because of the sectors. is there a way to get back windows, my cousin like ubuntu i dont mind installing only ubuntu, but they got files on the windows . can ubuntu install with the bad sectors? cuz i never had a problem like this but if it cant partition im scard if it cant install.

rollin
July 4th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I'm not an expert either but to recover the windows files on the pc you should be able to use the ubuntu live usb you mentioned. Once booted into ubuntu live usb just open the file manager and you should be able to see the hard drive icon. Hopefully after a little digging and you can find and copy the windows files onto a cd or another usb!

This link might help with the recovery process: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Burnsession
July 4th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Thanks rollin for the link,that solves the file problem. all i need to know now is if ubuntu will install without problems with the bad sector

rollin
July 4th, 2010, 03:09 AM
You're welcome and I'm glad I could help a bit ;-)

As for the bad sectors I'm really not sure as I said but may be worth hanging on to see if someone can post more about using Ubuntu Live CD to fix bad sectors...

Good luck with it and keep posting any issues you get as people will be more than happy to help out!

Ocxic
July 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Bad Sectors on a drive is a very BAD thing, the drive itself has the bad sectors, theres no fixing it.
look into getting a new drive.

-kg-
July 4th, 2010, 05:59 AM
You may be able to install Ubuntu on that drive, but the fact that it had enough bad sectors to render XP inoperable means that the drive might be on its way out. It would be much better to get a new drive and install on that.

If you decide to try to install Ubuntu to the old drive, though, make sure you always have a fairly current backup on another drive. Eventually, every drive will fail, and if you have information that you just can't lose, it's good to have a backup...preferably 2 or more. Probably, that drive will fail sooner rather than later.

I have two backups of everything on my two computers. I have backup files on my external drive, on the TB SATA drive in my desktop, and in some cases a third backup on DVD. How heavily you back up your data depends on how valuable that data is.

Burnsession
July 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone, everything is solved, i put their xp files into a usb memory stick and installed ubuntu 10. This new ubuntu is fast, even faster than xubuntu 9 on my computer, thanks for the help. ill get a new drive and tansfer the data later on, i dont think they want to buy a new one. thank you for the help!:KS:popcorn: