PDA

View Full Version : Removing the plastic panel from a new DVD drive

K.Mandla
March 29th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I swapped out the DVD-ROM in my "new" Inspiron 8000 for a proper DVD+/-RW (dual layer! :D ). However, the plastic cover doesn't quite fill the slot, so I'd like to swap it out for the molded cover that's on the original drive.

Can anyone offer tips on getting that plastic shield off without snapping it? I'm afraid to manhandle it. Thanks.

prizrak
March 30th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Last time I did something like that you had to pull it straight up. However I'm not sure if that's standard at all, try looking at how the ridges are aligned.

mcduck
March 30th, 2006, 06:23 AM
If you open the drive, and then cut the power so that the drive stays open, it should be fairly easy to remove the front panel..

prizrak
March 30th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Ejecting the drive is very easy and doesn't require such harsh measures. There is a small hole near the eject button put something like a hairpin or a needle or a straightened paperclip (best one) in there and push the drive will eject whether it is powered or not.

mcduck
March 30th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Ejecting the drive is very easy and doesn't require such harsh measures. There is a small hole near the eject button put something like a hairpin or a needle or a straightened paperclip (best one) in there and push the drive will eject whether it is powered or not.
You know, I'd call that a harsh measure.. It's definitely not something you'd want to do too many times with your drive..

But I guess for replacing the panel once that would be ok too..

K.Mandla
March 30th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Opening the drive itself is no problem, its finding all the tiny plastic snaps that hold the plastic faceplate onto the drive tray. I can see two of them and I think if I press down gently on both at the same time, I can release it.

My fear, of course, is that there is a third or a fourth plastic snap somewhere that I can't see offhand that will crack like a pastry shell when I do that.

Sorry for such an odd question. And thanks again for the help thus far. :)

jason.b.c
March 30th, 2006, 07:51 AM
You know, I'd call that a harsh measure.. It's definitely not something you'd want to do too many times with your drive..

But I guess for replacing the panel once that would be ok too..

Poking something into that little hole in the front a cd drive won't hurt it, thats why it's there;) , in case you can't eject a disk for some reason. There's a small metal plate inside that you're pressing against with whatever skinny pointed thing you chose to use.:KS

I've got an old cd drive that for some reason won't eject cd's once they are in there, the tray will open (empty) but not when it already has a disk??:confused: , So go figure??!:(

prizrak
March 30th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Well I used my own Dell drive as a test bed and for the part that is on the tray it's very easy. Pull GENTLY on the bottom towards yourself and then lift up. The other part has plastic tabs there should be one or two on both sides. Make sure there are no screws (they are quite visible if they are there). Then just do what you normally would with tabs just be gentle. It's very hard to damage anything but the plastic tho. The only thing is that it's not a 100% that the face plates would fit.

drizek
March 31st, 2006, 01:46 AM
I tried to do it on my emachines and the emachines cover didnt fit on the new burner. I also tried to put hte old cdrw in a compaq and that didnt work either.

Arktis
March 31st, 2006, 03:54 AM
I've found that a flathead screwdriver or similar tool from a swiss army knife is perfect for this task - just press down on the plastic flaps with it, one at a time, simultaneously pushing towards the front of the drive once a given tab is sufficiently depressed.

There are also covers for cdrom drives that fit into the case itself and not the drive, eliminating the need to tamper with the drive at all.

WildTangent
March 31st, 2006, 06:00 AM
You realize that most drives have different faceplate designs, right?:confused: The tabs are usually in different locations

-Wild

teet
March 31st, 2006, 06:13 AM
Just rip it off of there!

1. Pop the drive open with a paperclip like others have suggested.
2. You'll have to remove the cover to the cd tray itself. Grasp it with both hands and use your thumbs to push kind of up and out from below the piece (cd tray cover). It should pop right off.
3. There's probably tabs on the side, one on the top, and on the bottom of the faceplate itself. Use a paperlip to push in the tabs on the side, bottom, and other side. Then grap the tip piece and basically rip it off (the top tab catches sometimes). When I say "rip" I mean with gentle force :)
4. Get your new faceplate and snap it on.
5. Put on the cover of the cd tray (either the new or old one).

It's really easy. I've done it like 200 times (we got in a shipment of grey cdroms that needed to be black...ugh), although I admit I was very slow the first couple of times I did it.

-teet