PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I download 10.04 or 10.10 daily build?

Zach808
July 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
I just got a new Dell Desktop (2 Intel Quad Core Xeons, 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870, and I'm wondering if I should just stick to Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, or try the Daily Build of 10.10 Maverick. Is the Daily Build usable enough, or are there still a lot of bugs? I'll still have Windows on the other partition, so it won't be the end of the world if something breaks.

Rubi1200
July 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I just got a new Dell Desktop (2 Intel Quad Core Xeons, 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870, and I'm wondering if I should just stick to Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, or try the Daily Build of 10.10 Maverick. Is the Daily Build usable enough, or are there still a lot of bugs? I'll still have Windows on the other partition, so it won't be the end of the world if something breaks.

The current stable version is 10.04. Version 10.10 is in Alpha 2 and is NOT recommended for a stable environment.

I suggest you download 10.04 and run it first as a LiveCD to see if you like it and that everything works before installing.

QIII
July 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Lucid Lynx (10.04) is the current "production" release. Use it.

Maverick Meerkat (10.10) is a development version and is NOT stable for every-day use. Development versions break often as new things are tried out. DO NOT use Maverick as a primary OS.

Artificial Intelligence
July 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
It's highly not recommendable to use pre-alpha/alpha/early-beta/beta. Only if you know how-to do stuff in CLI/editing stuff/etc. way and you have the knowledge around a linux system.

Stuff will break - the usual do at one point (minimum) of the development phase.

Daily build is a snapshot of the current development with its bugs, it's for testing only.

josephellengar
July 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM

10.10 is unstable. It could even break your windows, so unless you plan to backup every day ... I never use even a stable release until at least a month after it was released.