PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what packages are in the Desktop edition?

Ojustaboo
July 3rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hi all.

Finally managed to get my install working fine, wanted a LVM, hence had to use alternate install.

Is there a list of what's normally installed by default on the normal install please so that I can install my alternate install to look the same?

Of course I realise at the end of the day I can just add and remove packages as I see fit, but would like to start out with most things I would need, already there.

Many thanks

10.04 64bit

ajgreeny
July 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
If you did a default alternate install CD installation, except for the LVM, you will have the same packages as any other install method, as far as I'm aware.

Here's the list anyway, though how you can use it practically, I'm not sure.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/

SmokeyThePanda
July 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
As stated above me, they are the same packages(I believe). If I am not mistaken, the only real difference between the live cd and alternate cd is that you can not boot in with the alternate cd. Thus, it takes up less space on a CD.

Ojustaboo
July 4th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I'm talking rubbish as usual :)

Was trying to use the alternate CD but due to problems, had to to a netinstall, which asked me what package collections (words to that effect) I wanted.

So my original post should have said "hence had to do a netinstall"

Thanks for the list

ajgreeny
July 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
For a netinstall you should simply choose to install ubuntu-desktop package and everything else will follow from that, just like a standard ubuntu install.

Ojustaboo
July 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
For a netinstall you should simply choose to install ubuntu-desktop package and everything else will follow from that, just like a standard ubuntu install.

Excellent, many thanks