PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Canonical (And dev. community)

tuthmosis
July 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
TO CANONICAL: (And everyone involved with Ubuntu dev.)

Ubuntu made me fall in love with Linux again after almost a decade of being forced to work on Windows and Solaris for software engineering purposes.

I regret to say that, for most users and businesses, it fails to be a valid OS alternative.

When something isn't going to work with most users, MAKE IT CLEAR or create executables that WILL NOT PROCEED if it's about to break everything or force people to waste days for nothing.

Heres a few examples:

The BURG/GRUB episode breaking peoples Wubi installation SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !
Wubi 10.04 that will not be compatible with LVPM and therefore impossible to migrate to full partition SHOULD NOT HAPPENED OR BE CLEARLY WARNED ABOUT.
etc...

Many other instances of technical issues, which cannot be fixed unless you have a degree in software engineering, are such that Ubuntu should be considered as a Beta product still in the process of being developed.

Ubuntu, and the main applications embedded into it's release, are too inconsistent to be released to general public. It should not be presented as a replacement for Windows. (And god be my witness, i hate Microsoft with every fibre of my own body !)

freundfire
July 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Which is clear is that much money could be earnt if governments invested more in free software..

MCVenom
July 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Nothing about this thread is redeemable, the devs don't read the forums, and honestly at best this should be in Recurring Discussions, not in General Help.

Actually, at best I think this thread should be closed before it gets any worse.

-humanaut-
July 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I have reason to believe Enterprises and Governments won't be using Wubi lol

kaldor
July 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM

^

wilee-nilee
July 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1523077

WorMzy
I wouldn't recommend Wubi for anything other than trying out Ubuntu. I'd certainly never use it as a full time OS. The fact that it's root disk is stored as a single file on an NTFS partition and has to be used from inside a Windows installation screams "I am just waiting to go wrong" to me.

I don't think Canonical are trying to sell Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows; I think they're just selling it as an Operating System. If the user want to think of it as an alternative to Windows, that's their decision, and if they feel disappointed when they feel it doesn't meet their expectations, that's their problem too. There's plenty of places to suggest changes and additions and report bugs to to help make software for Linux better. I recommend you make use of these if you're not satisfied with your experience.

KdotJ

lol +1 agreed

MCVenom
July 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
TO CANONICAL: (And everyone involved with Ubuntu dev.)
If you actually want the relevant people to read this, email Canonical and the dev mailing lists.

Ubuntu made me fall in love with Linux again after almost a decade of being forced to work on Windows and Solaris for software engineering purposes.Glad you like it. :)

I regret to say that, for most users and businesses, it fails to be a valid OS alternative.I would say 'for *some* users and many businesses.

When something isn't going to work with most users, MAKE IT CLEAR or create executables that WILL NOT PROCEED if it's about to break everything or force people to waste days for nothing.Someone had a sig around here that says it all: 'Linux assumes you know exactly what you're doing'. Also, the devs aren't psychic; they can't catch everything.

Heres a few examples:

The BURG/GRUB episode breaking peoples Wubi installation SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !
Wubi 10.04 that will not be compatible with LVPM and therefore impossible to migrate to full partition SHOULD NOT HAPPENED OR BE CLEARLY WARNED ABOUT.
etc...

If you want a voice in dev decisions, join them. It's open source baby :P

Many other instances of technical issues, which cannot be fixed unless you have a degree in software engineering,And you know this from experience right, looking into problems and trying to submit patches? Or was there a big message in the source code that said:

'UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEGREE IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, DON'T BOTHER N00B'
;)

are such that Ubuntu should be considered as a Beta product still in the process of being developed.It's quite stable for me and works fine. Then again, I don't use Wubi. :P

Ubuntu, and the main applications embedded into it's release, are too inconsistent to be released to general public.How so?

It should not be presented as a replacement for Windows.It's been just fine as a replacement since I started using it last year. :P

(And god be my witness, i hate Microsoft with every fibre of my own body !)Uhh what? Is that some weird oath you have to take in order to speak about Linux? That's new to me! :P

DJYoshaBYD
July 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
i have to disagree.. I have many installed instances of Ubuntu as servers and clients, that wanted to have a free office alternative..

The problem is, linux is ever evolving, and **** will break from time to time.. Windows does the same thing..

To say that its a Beta because certain things dont work, is kinda being way to broad with your statements..

Its not just Ubuntu.. MANY distros that use the same kernel (or variations), have issues just like this..

plus, no one can anticipate what a user has put on their computer or what they have changed prior to any updates being done..

yes.. you are correct.. for people to migrate from windows to linux, is a big step, and has a learning curve..

BUT, its no different than switching from Windows to Mac.. everything is completely different..

honestly, I think ubuntu (especially 10.04), is very stable, and I have had little to no issues at all..

Many other instances of technical issues, which cannot be fixed unless you have a degree in software engineering, are such that Ubuntu should be considered as a Beta product still in the process of being developed.

REALLY? seriously, NONE of the issues I have run into required me to have a degree.. if YOU need a degree to figure this stuff out, i would move to something else, as its over your head :)

MCVenom
July 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
REALLY? seriously, NONE of the issues I have run into required me to have a degree.. if YOU need a degree to figure this stuff out, i would move to something else, as its over your head :)

Definitely not Windows though. You'll need that degree to decipher the error messages! :lolflag:
Seriously though? Ubuntu makes it much easier to fix any problems you might have.

fatality_uk
July 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
*******sigh....

DJYoshaBYD
July 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Definitely not Windows though. You'll need that degree to decipher the error messages! :lolflag:
Seriously though? Ubuntu makes it much easier to fix any problems you might have.

for reals.. and they do that just so you CANT figure it out, and have to have microsuck service it.. weeaakkkkk sauce..

95% of my issues have been resolved with a google search and common sense..

after almost a decade of being forced to work on Windows and Solaris for software engineering purposes.

^^^^^^ I would assume his job title would require the latter.. hahahahaha.. if not, theeeennnnnn he is SOL..

tuthmosis
July 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
WOW !!! =D>

I was able to start a real holly war here !!!!

Lot's of people feeling personally attacked !?...

Ubuntu is not mainstream as oppose to what we ear in too many media... That's it...

Don't tear your shirt apart for that !... (Get a life people :-s)

mick222
July 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Troll

Jay Car
July 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
lol..."holly" war. (I know, it's not nice to point out spelling mistakes, but I felt oddly compelled to do so with this one)

BenAshton24
July 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
WOW !!! =D>

I was able to start a real holly war here !!!!

Lot's of people feeling personally attacked !?...

Ubuntu is not mainstream as oppose to what we ear in too many media... That's it...

Don't tear your shirt apart for that !... (Get a life people :-s)

The troll has been fed but is still hungry...

Bottom line is: Ubuntu is made by people, for free. Windows is made by a ton of people being paid ridiculous amounts of money. Ubuntu is generally more stable than Windows.

MCVenom
July 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I said this thread needed to be closed before it went downhill; from now on, you will all refer to me as 'The Thread Whisperer' :lolflag:

lisati
July 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thread closed before the troll gets indigestion.