PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] re-install??

jedson3
July 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on an Acer Extensia lap top. Thinking about re-installing for two reasons:

1. I can't get the wireless connection to work. It did on the earlier version -- 9.

2. it kept all my previous installs even though I only asked them to save one other OS that I need. The second problem I could live with, though I wouldn't mind having the space that is used on these systems I don't want.

So, should I go back to an earlier version of Ubuntu? If I do re-install can I use the "specify partitions manually" option and get rid of the extra OSs? I'm not exactly a beginner, but neither am I an "expert." Don't want to get into highly technical fixes.

jedson

PS I think it may be a compatibility issue with Acer, as I use 10.04 on a dell and don't have the wireless problem. Do I need a driver?

spydeyrch
July 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
For your laptop, does it have an ethernet port on it? If so, have you tried connecting to the internet via wired ethernet cable, then running the install hardware program found under system -> admin? It should scan your hardware and find any needed drivers that are compatible with your hardware.

Give that a try first if you haven't already.

I usually do it like that and I find my wireless, GPU, and a few other hardware drivers that way. I have tried it on a plethora of different systems with ranging hardware specs and have not had any issues so far. Oh, and I was using 10.04 on them all. :D

-Spydey

jedson3
July 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Awesome suggestion. I did, as it turns out, have an ethernet connection. Did what you said, and in about five minutes it was fixed.

Thanks. I am very happy with this. Feel like next time I run into something like this I'll know what to do.

jedson

spydeyrch
July 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Great!!! I am glad to see that it worked out well for you. If you feel like your issue has been resolved, feel free to mark the thread as solved via the thread tools.

-Spydey:p