PDA

View Full Version : Starting to. love xfce...

KdotJ
July 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for about 8 months, and Linux for just short of a year. During this time, I've only ever seen xfce once. I didn't think much of it, looked a bit tacky I thought. However, after recenly playing around with Arch Linux in a VM, I decided to install xfce4 as it was easier than gnome I thought. I loved it... It looked nice and clean, and stylish I must say.

Now I have installed then xfce package on my netbook, and I'm having loads of fun customising it. Although to be fair, Ive ended up making it look pretty much like gnome lol, but I'm still having a look though the many themes there are etc.

Is it possible to edit the items that are shown in the menu? Some of my menus are very long indeed.

Rodney9
July 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for about 8 months, and Linux for just short of a year. During this time, I've only ever seen xfce once. I didn't think much of it, looked a bit tacky I thought. However, after recenly playing around with Arch Linux in a VM, I decided to install xfce4 as it was easier than gnome I thought. I loved it... It looked nice and clean, and stylish I must say.

Now I have installed then xfce package on my netbook, and I'm having loads of fun customising it. Although to be fair, Ive ended up making it look pretty much like gnome lol, but I'm still having a look though the many themes there are etc.

Is it possible to edit the items that are shown in the menu? Some of my menus are very long indeed.

I too love Xfce4 on my laptop, you can change the menu , go to Applications - Settings - Main Menu

warjowuch
July 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Ain't that the gnome menu editor, still installed because you installed xubuntu-desktop later? I believe it is a long standing problem editing the xfce menu...

overdrank
July 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments :)

azertyh
July 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM
hi,
like you, i have the ubuntu 10.04 but installed and use xfce. i love it.
for editing the menu : http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
read also the faq : http://wiki.xfce.org/faq

lkjoel
July 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Yes, I used to use XFCE, but then somehow a process named "xfce4-menu-plugin" was taking too much RAM.
I still love XFCE, but there are a few problems that made me switch back to GNOME.
The menu editing was one of them.