PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] lightweight in my computer

nene7
July 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
hi, everyone i want to know what desktop are the most light? xfce, fluxbox, ..... I want to know of the active proyect.

wojox
July 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
xfce is a Desktop Environment

fluxbox is a Window Manager.

So if you want lightweight stick with a Window Manager. I prefer Awesome.

axel668
July 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
there's always a tradeoff between lightness and comfort - here's a list, starting with ultra-light / no comfort and stopping with comfortable but heavyweight

nothing:
simple xterm

standalone windowmanagers:
fvwm2
openbox
fluxbox

lightweight de's:
lxde
enlightenment
xfce

fullblown de's:
gnome
kde

If you go through the list and pick the "lightest" that is still usable for you, then you have your answer ;)

urukrama
July 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Xfce is a full Desktop Environment (which includes a window manager, as well as panels, desktop icons, session management, etc.) While it is light for a desktop environment, compared to Gnome and KDE, it is relatively heavy compared to standalone window managers.

Fluxbox has not seen any new releases in a long time.

Openbox and Pekwm are windown managers that are still actively developed. Openbox is probably a good place to begin: it is light, not too difficult to configure, and many people use it, which means it is easy to find support and help if you have questions or run into difficulties.

If you need help setting up Openbox, the Openbox guide linked to in my signature might be helpful.

philinux
July 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments.

MooPi
July 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
I suggest Openbox. I give this advice often and have enjoyed using Openbox for some time. Start with a minimal install by either using the alternate install CD or the special minimal install CD, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
After the install your left with just a command line interface and you add just what you need. Actually this is a good starting point for all lightweight setups because they leave all the details to the individual and if your striking for a slim build there is no better way. I've done this with Gnome, Xfce, Fluxbox & Openbox and they all come out lighter than a pre-set desktop system.

nene7
July 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
the purpose is that my father need a pc in his work but he repair car and the only use is to make some estimate and send fax. the pc has 64mb of ram. what desktop you recommend for this?, thanks for all replies

urukrama
July 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
If your father is familiar with Windows and wants a similar looking environment, perhaps Icewm is a better option as it is light but similar in looks to Windows. You can add a panel to Openbox, but that means you will use more memory than icewm. You could also use JWM, which is also light but looks a little more spartan.

I recommend you do not use Ubuntu on that (even a minimal install). Debian will run great on that. I've used it for a while on a laptop with 64MB RAM and 300Mhz CPU without much difficulty. Alternatively, you could use something like Slitaz, and old Damn Small Linux or TinyCore.

wojox
July 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Try Puppy Linux (http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started. htm)

lucasart
July 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
hi, everyone i want to know what desktop are the most light? xfce, fluxbox, ..... I want to know of the active project.

Lubuntu 10.04. it is the ubuntu based lightweight distribution: like Kubuntu uses KDE lubuntu uses LXDE. And xfce is *not lightweight*. I've tried it and it's not only lame but it's not lighter than the standard Ubuntu ! I don't even know why they're still developing XFCE: it's a complete failure.