PDA

View Full Version : Accidental format.

gemmakaru
July 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
So I want to un-mount a drive, I right click the drive icon and go for the un-mount menu. I miss and hit format. This story is fiction but it could happen. Why would they put Unmount so close to Format? I guess something had to be. I know hitting the menu doesn't format any drives without further input but I still think its a little dodgy. Please discuss.

Yarui
July 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Well you already kind of answered your own question. Hitting the format option just brings up a menu to format, it doesn't immediately format without any further input. It would be pretty difficult to accidentally configure and execute the format after accidentally choosing the format option. The worst that would happen is that you would be inconvenienced in having to close the window.

earthpigg
July 3rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
So I want to un-mount a drive, I right click the drive icon and go for the un-mount menu. I miss and hit format...

...and then this (attached) pops up.

would you not notice, and be very skeptical of what you are looking at?

clearly, if you are looking at this and not what lays beneath, you have obviously made some sort of error...

meho_r
July 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM

Male chauvinist pig! :D

But I agree with OP, it would be better to isolate "Format" option. Or at least include "Open in Terminal" script for Nautilus in default installation which can serve as a separator.

robsoles
July 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
(1) What is wrong with little eject symbol in file browser?

(2) Where would you put the command that you would expect new users to find it easy enough?

(3) If you are that drunk then maybe it's not a good time to play on the computer?

As an aside, I wish my format dialog looked like earthpigg's!!!

cguy
July 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Even if you'd click on Format you'd then have to "accidentally" insert your password. ;)

Yarui
July 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
If the format option wasn't in the right click menu, I would find formatting a drive to be extremely inconvenient. A competent user would never make this hypothetical mistake.

robsoles
July 3rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Even if you'd click on Format you'd then have to "accidentally" insert your password. ;)

:lolflag:

gemmakaru
July 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for that earthpig, pics like that make me glad to be a lesbian\\:D/
Back on topic. um yeah what was it again?

mkendall
July 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM

I think it was, "Body tattoos and pierced lips? Seriously?"

PuddingKnife
July 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Photoshop can so some amazing things :D

Sporkman
July 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM

would you not notice, and be very skeptical of what you are looking at?

clearly, if you are looking at this and not what lays beneath, you have obviously made some sort of error...

I think she likes me...

McRat
July 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for that earthpig, pics like that make me glad to be a lesbian\\:D/

That gal looks a lot like a journalist for one of the hotrod magazines who is also a motorcycle racer. I forget her name, but she makes an impression when she covers an event.

koenn
July 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
does the dialog box get out of the way when you click 'format' ?