PDA

View Full Version : That annoying javascript image viewer

spupy
July 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Ubuntu forums is one of the culprits. I'm talking about the annoying javascript (?) where I middle-click images to load them in a new tab while I keep browsing, but NOOOO, they need to open in the current tab, obscuring everything else I'm viewing.

Please, is there some greasymonkey/chromium script that disables this? My google-fu was ineffective.

/rant

robsoles
July 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hey spupy, would you please link to one of those images here on ubuntuforums.org?

I came across one in a thread somewhere but I'm not sure it had the behavior your speak of and I want to test stuff about it before I go saying what I think you can do about it.

Yarui
July 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Well if what you are talking about is a link that uses javascript when you click on it instead of an http link, you can't really do anything to load those in a new tab. Javascript runs on the current page, if you open it in a new tab, the new tab goes to a blank page and tries to run the javascript, which doesn't exist. The only way to open it in a new tab is just to open a new tab with your current page and then click on it there. I agree that javascript links that can't be opened in a new tab are really annoying.

BenAshton24
July 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Middle clicking opens the image in a new tab with Firefox.

spupy
July 3rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Well if what you are talking about is a link that uses javascript when you click on it instead of an http link, you can't really do anything to load those in a new tab. Javascript runs on the current page, if you open it in a new tab, the new tab goes to a blank page and tries to run the javascript, which doesn't exist. The only way to open it in a new tab is just to open a new tab with your current page and then click on it there. I agree that javascript links that can't be opened in a new tab are really annoying.

The thing is that middle-click triggers the javascript, as if left-click was issued. "Context-menu -> open in new tab" works.

I just don't like websites messing with the controls.

And here is a link with lots of images:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1520959

Of course it's not just about ubuntuforums - I just gave this site as an example.

Yarui
July 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
I thought I was with you until you gave that link. None of those pictures use javascript, they all open in a new tab just fine for me.

robsoles
July 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Middle clicking opens the image in a new tab with Firefox.

Exactly what I was going to say straight after making sure I wasn't trippin' last time it seemed to work just fine for me!!!

CharlesA
July 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
You leftclick on them once to have them open in a window then either click on them again to have it open them in a new tab, or scroll to close them.

Middle click opens them in a new tab for me.

spupy
July 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
You leftclick on them once to have them open in a window then either click on them again to have it open them in a new tab, or scroll to close them.

Middle click opens them in a new tab for me.

Thanks, that seems to be the solution. Also, it seems this a chromium-related issue.

CharlesA
July 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Ah. Using Firefox here and it works as above.

robsoles
July 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks, that seems to be the solution. Also, it seems this a chromium-related issue.

I've been finding that browser more and more annoying - I restored one of my user's files and settings from their original single drive onto their shiny new raid1 mirror setup and the only program that wouldn't restore *everything* they wanted: Chromium Browser!