PDA

View Full Version : What do you use as an input device?

Legendary_Bibo
July 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
For things like surfing the web and whatnot. What's your ideal input device?

lisati
July 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Mostly mouse, forgot to vote for keyboard.

Sean Moran
July 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
For things like surfing the web and whatnot. What's your ideal input device?

I'm on a Benq keyboard and Microsoft mouse, (and there's a Nio webcam there for testing Eviacam etc.) all USB so I don't dirty the keyboard or touchpad on my little Lucy laptop.

Legendary_Bibo
July 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm on a Benq keyboard and Microsoft mouse, (and there's a Nio webcam there for testing Eviacam etc.) all USB so I don't dirty the keyboard or touchpad on my little Lucy laptop.

I rarely use my touchpad because even when it's cleaned, and I come out the shower, my hands seem to make up some sort of nasty grease on it.

I use a mouse, touchpad, and tablet. :) I hate using my mouse though because of my desk. The edge digs into my wrist. stupid "artistic" office desk.

Sean Moran
July 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
I rarely use my touchpad because even when it's cleaned, and I come out the shower, my hands seem to make up some sort of nasty grease on it.

I use a mouse, touchpad, and tablet. :) I hate using my mouse though because of my desk. The edge digs into my wrist. stupid "artistic" office desk.

I understand what you mean about the wrist pain if you're spending long hours at the computer desk. This hotel has a nice desk with rounded edges at the place where the wrist or palm of the hand rests when running the mouse, but the last hotel room had no desk, and I was there 14 hours a day on a sharp-edged dressing table.

My solution was based on a half-a-dozen chilli & tomato sauce sachets that I'd been delivered to my room by KFC when I was too ill to leave the room for a feed, and around 750mm of PVC tape. I taped the sauce sachets in a convoluted array along the edge of the desk, and the aching was gone the next morning.

NightwishFan
July 3rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Ideal is mouse, but as my touchpad is built into my laptop that is most convenient.

nerdtron
July 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
If i have the budget, i'll buy a trackball and a tablet...

prodigy_
July 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
The edge digs into my wrist. Heh. I got used to that. :-)

sgosnell
July 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
A mouse requires a mousepad to operate well, and I usually have no place to put one, plus I have to connect the thing. The touchpad is always there, ready to go, and requires no external flat spot. Portability is more important to me than almost anything else, so I use the touchpad most of the time. When I connect my netbook to an external monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc at my computer desk, I use a wireless optical mouse/keyboard, because the touchpad isn't available. I don't do that very often, however.

sanderd17
July 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
I use the touchpad for surfing. I'm to lazy to get my mouse out and I use mouse gestures, so I don't need the precision of a normal mouse. And for all the other work, I mainly use the keyboard.

psoulocybe
July 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Between injuries and too many years at a console, my wrists are shot. I use a mouse to do fine adjustments in image editing sometimes, but my main pointer control is through my Wacom drawing tablet. Much easier on my wrists.

Theft42
July 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
I use the Old Ball mouse with the rubber ball in it.... and A keyboard. I def need to invest in an optical mouse though fer sure.

chessnerd
July 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I voted optical mouse and keyboard.

On Windows I use the mouse 70% of the time.

On Linux I use the mouse 50% of the time.

I could use the mouse more on Linux, but I prefer to use the command-line for some tasks.

I occasionally use the trackpad on my laptop, but I really prefer my wireless mouse. It's got a nano-usb receiver so I leave it plugged in all the time and I take the mouse with me everywhere.

chriswyatt
July 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
On/Off switch.

Frogs Hair
July 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Wired optical mouse , I don't like buying batteries .:)