PDA

View Full Version : Shouldnt ubuntu one music store have podcasts?

arnab_das
July 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
I was going through the new version of iTunes the other day and couldnt help but wonder how awesome it is when it comes to podcasts, the inbuilt libraries are just superb and the collection of free podcasts is magnanimous.

I wonder if ubuntu one music store could have such a feature inbuilt into rhythmbox. It would surely be very useful for us podcast-philes.

MichealH
July 3rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Yes, That is a good idea. Considering there are u podcasts out there :D

NoBugs!
July 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Most podcasts are free, I doubt they will add podcasts to the store system. Rhythmbox has a separate podcast section, and though it doesn't let you search and browse for new podcasts, you can browse for podcast urls with online podcast directories. You can even get itunes podcasts playing in rhythmbox:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/how-to-import-itunes-podcasts-in.html

earthpigg
July 7th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I wonder if ubuntu one music store could have such a feature inbuilt into rhythmbox. It would surely be very useful for us podcast-philes.

streamed from ubuntu servers, or from whatever server the podcast originally comes from? I have no idea what the current norm is for iTunes...

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I think that they should start selling media other than music. There are quite a few movies and shows that I'd like to download. Maybe 10-20$ apiece for movies, 2-3$ for individual TV show episodes. I'd buy plenty of them if only because online quality for movies and shows is generally extremely low.

samalex
July 7th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I was going through the new version of iTunes the other day and couldnt help but wonder how awesome it is when it comes to podcasts, the inbuilt libraries are just superb and the collection of free podcasts is magnanimous.

I could see them adding the ability to sync the list of podcasts I'm subscribed to within Rhythmbox because after reinstalling Ubuntu I had to re-add all my podcasts to Rhythmbox. But I wouldn't want to see Ubuntu One try to become a middle-man like iTunes does.

Sam

LeifAndersen
July 7th, 2010, 03:41 AM
streamed from ubuntu servers, or from whatever server the podcast originally comes from? I have no idea what the current norm is for iTunes...

iTunes doesn't store the podcasts, the podcaster's servers store the podcasts. In fact, if I remember correctly, iTunes isn't even the the place where you download the RSS feeds from, you also download that from the podcast's servers.

smellyman
July 7th, 2010, 03:41 AM
It would be nice if it had a good music selection first...:)

samalex
July 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM
iTunes doesn't store the podcasts, the podcaster's servers store the podcasts. In fact, if I remember correctly, iTunes isn't even the the place where you download the RSS feeds from, you also download that from the podcast's servers.

I haven't used iTunes for podcasts in well over a year, but I know at one point they did cache the RSS XML file and Podcast audio file because numerous times I'd have problems getting the latest episodes due to their cache being outdated. Maybe they've changed the cache problem by now, which if so that'd be nice.

Sam

marshmallow1304
July 7th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Have a look at Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/).