PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ???Postfix - What to Do, No Domain Name For System Mail Name????

panw
July 3rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
I am using Drupal 6.17 and I am trying to enable the system to send confirmation email to newly registered members. To accomplish this I was pointed to install Postfix.

My problem is during the Postfix installation I am asked for system mail name, which is asking me for a domain name.

I do not own a domain name, so would I be able possible for me to use my ip address or just give it my computer name instead?

Also please let me know if I should be installing something else to enable email automation for new members on Drupal.

Thanks

mlentink
July 3rd, 2010, 06:29 AM
I am afraid that you've supplied not enough info to be able to give an answer.
On what machine exactly are you hosting your website? At your ISP? If you do not own a domain name, how do people reach you website?
Please tell us a bit more about the setup of you website.

greg_ory
July 3rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
When you use your own server then you need to have DNS working in order to use the notification function or a smtp relay should work as well but I am sure that the drupal documentation/website is the better platform to find detailed information about mail notification and how manage the setup.

-greg

mlentink
July 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I tend to come back to threads I've posted to, to see if my suggestions mad any sense or were of help. I see the OP has not come back.
I would think it would be nice if the OP could either mark the thread as solved (in which case other reader might be interested to know just how...), or took an entirely different approach through which the problem doesn't exist any more.