PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Booting From Flash Drive Skips Unetbootin Menu

UnsafeData
July 3rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
I want to install Ubuntu from a flash drive due to a faulty optical drive. I used Unetbootin but when I try to boot from my USB drive, nothing happens.. it then continues to boot Windows from my HDD.
The only way I could get a result is formatting it to NTFS and which then I only get "BOOTMGR IS MISSING"
What is wrong?

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
First of all, be sure your BIOS is up to date.
Then go to the BIOS and be sure that the USB drive boots before the hard disk.

UnsafeData
July 3rd, 2010, 04:55 AM
First of all, be sure your BIOS is up to date.
Then go to the BIOS and be sure that the USB drive boots before the hard disk.

It already boots before the hard disk. I've installed Windows 7 from this before

C.S.Cameron
July 3rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Format flash to FAT32,
Check MD5SUM of the iso,
Try usb-creator or Universal USB Installer.

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm almost positive that the drive needs to be FAT32. You should also check your BIOS, like previously suggested. Your BIOS may automatically remove USB's after the first start up if they aren't plugged. Mine does.

UnsafeData
July 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm almost positive that the drive needs to be FAT32. You should also check your BIOS, like previously suggested. Your BIOS may automatically remove USB's after the first start up if they aren't plugged. Mine does.

I checked. It does detect it.
Also I formatted it in FAT32

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Does the BIOS still list it if it isn't plugged in? If not, your BIOS is doing the same thing mine does and you'll need to have it plugged in and set your BIOS to boot from it again.

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
What is your make/model?

Try seeing if there is an option such as:

(F2) Boot selection pop-up

UnsafeData
July 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
What is your make/model?

Try seeing if there is an option such as:

That's what I do

UnsafeData
July 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Bump

UnsafeData
July 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mfzzp1.png

I think this is the problem. It stays like this for a while and then it finishes.

warfacegod
July 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
It's possible but unlikely. It stays that way for that length of time because it's extracting a 609 MB file. Which is the majority of the work that unetbootin does.

Are you sure you have all of the appropriate extraction tools? When I do an install of Ubuntu, I often forget the p7zip-full package that unetbootin needs. Perhaps something similar is happening here.

UnsafeData
July 4th, 2010, 10:48 PM
It's possible but unlikely. It stays that way for that length of time because it's extracting a 609 MB file. Which is the majority of the work that unetbootin does.

Are you sure you have all of the appropriate extraction tools? When I do an install of Ubuntu, I often forget the p7zip-full package that unetbootin needs. Perhaps something similar is happening here.

Well that's what I figured.
Also I'm doing this from Windows. Could there be anything I'm missing

warfacegod
July 5th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Well that's what I figured.
Also I'm doing this from Windows. Could there be anything I'm missing

So I gathered from the window border in the screenshot;).

Something missing was what I was thinking. I only have experience with the Linux version but I can't imagine unetbootin opening without giving a warning about that. The Linux version does but will still try to make the LiveUSB without it. Check the unetbootin site to see what it recommends having for Windows, if anything.

lkjoel
July 5th, 2010, 12:37 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mfzzp1.png

I think this is the problem. It stays like this for a while and then it finishes.
I know that this is slightly off topic, but how do you even manage to get crunchbang work?
I tried it on my computer (actually the computer I am using currently, which is not my Ubuntu), but somehow it would not load up!

snowpine
July 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hi UnsafeData, you need to press a key (usually Esc or one of the Fn keys; it depends on the manufacturer) at boot time to enter the "boot device menu." You should then be able to select your USB drive. You also need to make sure your computer is capable of booting from USB (if it's new enough to run Windows 7 you're probably OK, but many older computers don't have this capapbility).

You should also probably test your USB on a 2nd computer to troubleshoot whether it is a faulty USB or whether the problem is with your computer. :)