PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can't get Empathy's contact list to start up on startup

Drawdecirle
July 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
I've been working on this for about an hour now, and all my searching has led me to find people who have the opposite problem. They've added Empathy as a startup application, but don't want to see the contact list, so people tell them to use -h to start in hidden mode.

I, on the other hand, do want to see my contact list, but even though my startup application does not have the -h parameter, it won't show. I can hear the sound effect for it starting up, and when I do manually open the contact list, I'm already connected, but I'd like to automate this step.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-humanaut-
July 3rd, 2010, 01:12 AM
When I was running Ubuntu (on Kubuntu now) I just added Empathy to my panel and just clicked it once I was logged in. Thats the easiest way of doing it you might be able to add empathy to the 'startup programs' but im not 100% sure since I don't use empathy or gnome.

Drawdecirle
July 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM
When I was running Ubuntu (on Kubuntu now) I just added Empathy to my panel and just clicked it once I was logged in. Thats the easiest way of doing it you might be able to add empathy to the 'startup programs' but im not 100% sure since I don't use empathy or gnome.

Right. I did add it to my Startup Applications, but like I said, it only connects me online; it doesn't open up the contact list. I'd hate to have to click on it to open it every time I login though, but I guess if there's no other way.

-humanaut-
July 3rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
You could always setup a keyboard shortcut to launch it too might be a bit easier.

Starminn
December 11th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I understand this is a six-month-old thread, but I had this same problem and would like to share my solution for others with this same issue.

On Ubuntu 10.10 which is my current OS when you log-in to Empathy via the chat/username/power item on the panels it logs you in but does not show the Contact List, as you stated. Once logged in, to show the Contact List you must simply click on the mail icon of the volume/mail item on the panel and click on "Chat."

So basically you can log in via the username/power item, but to get your Contact List you must simply click on the mail icon in the volume/mail set and click "Chat." Voila, there's your missing Contact List.

space_agent
February 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
@ Starminn Great thanks a lot for your tip! I think it is always good to share a hint even if the thread is old as it might help as was the case here.
I might say though that it seems unintuitive if some people cannot find this option themselves. For me, and apparently others as well, the mail icon stands for mail so maybe another icon would be better suited.