View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to make, change directorys/play game

July 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hello all, I was trying to install a game and the instructions I got from a friend of mine shows me this line:

cd /home/matt/games/portal-prelude
wine hl2.exe -game portal

Now I realize I would have to have this in my name of course, but I have no idea how to make the "home" or "games" or "portal-prelude" directory's. Right now when I open terminal, I have this: michael@michael-laptop:~$
So, unlike windows with the MKDIR.....I am now lost. I have this particular game extracted in a folder on my desktop. Can I please get some assistance?

July 2nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
hmm... I honestly recommend checking the wine homepage and wiki for instructions on it I don't use wine but heres a link to there site/wiki http://www.winehq.org/ that should tell you everything you need to know.

July 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
thanks, but I already have wine installed....I just need to know the command structure....how to make, change directorys.....

Penguin Guy
July 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
~ = /home/<username>
cd = change directory
mkdir = make directory
ls = list files

You can read more about the CLI here: http://linuxcommand.org
I don't know about the Wine part, but I'm sure someone can give you some pointers there.

July 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
#!/bin/bash is the start of a shell script. That's a text file placed somewhere on your computer, presumably in your home directory somewhere. Running that script will perform all the actions in the script.

You should install the game via wine, not manually. You should be able to click on the install file, presumably a .exe, and open it with wine. You may need to set the executable bit by right-clicking on it, selecting Properties, and on the Permissions tab check the box for "Allow executing file as a program".

July 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
THANKS GUYS!!! I appreciate the help, and I'll check back in an let cha' know how it went.....:D

July 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
the terminal is case sensitive meaning "MKDIR" is not the same as "mkdir", the command for making a directory is the same as in dos: mkdir <dir_name>

ls - list all the files in directory/subdirectory

if you like a visual way of doing this operations you can use nautilus or install mc (midnight commander) similar to norton commander.

July 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
You don't need to make /home, it's made during the install and mounted automatically, along with your user subdirectory. You can make the games/portal-prelude subdirectories either from the command line or with Nautilus file manager. I still think installing the game will be a better idea, and will make the necessary directories, although not necessarily the ones you posted. Just because your friend has them there doesn't mean you have to, or should. Installing it with wine will make the proper directories, put the files where they should be, and put a shortcut on your desktop if you like. You won't need a separate shell script.

If you do it manually, and use the script, you run that in a terminal via
./scriptname, where scriptname is the filename of the script. You need to make it executable, and you can also run it by double-clicking on it in Nautilus.

July 3rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
well.........IT WORKS!!!!.......thanks sgosnell!!!....I followed your advice and made the exe. executable by checking that box......its as simple as your instructions made it seem.....so thank you...thank you!!!!.....:D:D:D:D:D

July 3rd, 2010, 01:40 AM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.