PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help choosing media player

adobrakic
July 2nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
hello forumers, i have a bit of free time, so i'm looking to mess around with my system a little bit. what i'm currently trying to tackle is my media player + syncing issue. here's my current setup:

- 4GB Cowon D2 PMP (opens like traditional folder, no proprietary bs like apple)
- Songbird
- Foldersync addon for songbird (syncs selected folder in hdd to selected folder on my D2)

Everything here works fine currently, except one thing: deleting songs directly off the hdd from Songbird isn't implemented yet. Meaning I have to go through the folders to find the specific song I want to delete, then delete it; which is extremely annoying. I know I can create a shortcut to the folder with all my music, but I'd like to see if I can just right-click on a song in a certain media player, and delete the song from my hdd immediately.

I know for a fact that other media players do this, but then the question of syncing with my D2 comes into play. Any suggestions?

-humanaut-
July 2nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
You might want to try JuK it's a really good media player plus an excellent Music manager I believe you can delete files from it just as you want (from the HDD)

'''juk pulls in some KDE dependencies if you don't care. I have quite a bit of GTK apps on KDE like synaptic'''

adobrakic
July 3rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I downloaded it, but for every song I choose I get the following error:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4427/screenshotsorryjuk.png

I tried googling for the answer, but no luck.

Yarui
July 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
I find it kind of interesting that you want your media player to have this behavior. I always make absolutely sure before I delete any songs from a list in a media player that it doesn't delete it from my disk, and I have never actually found that any media player I have ever used does.

-humanaut-
July 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
You could try grabbing the kubuntu-restricted-extras package I believe that would take care of the problem.

gallifrey
July 3rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Amarok, with whatever plugins you can lay your hands on, and the restricted extras.

adobrakic
July 4th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I find it kind of interesting that you want your media player to have this behavior. I always make absolutely sure before I delete any songs from a list in a media player that it doesn't delete it from my disk, and I have never actually found that any media player I have ever used does.

I'm not really sure why I'd delete a song from my library, but still have the actual song floating around on my hard drive somewhere. Plus, if it's not on my hd, it's on google. Doesn't really matter.

You could try grabbing the kubuntu-restricted-extras package I believe that would take care of the problem.

I'll try it out, thanks.

Amarok, with whatever plugins you can lay your hands on, and the restricted extras.

I actually tried Amarok before, but wasn't really interested. However, I wasn't aware that there were plugins, I'll give it another try if Juk fails to work.

adobrakic
July 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Ah, Juk began working with the kubuntu-restricted-extras, but it was pretty inflexible; especially after i googled amarok plugins and realized how many there were for it. I have amarok configured pretty much like songbird, but I still cant find a way to delete songs from my harddrive through amarok. I tried searching on the website, but came up with nothing.

lhb1142
July 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM
hello forumers, i have a bit of free time, so i'm looking to mess around with my system a little bit. what i'm currently trying to tackle is my media player + syncing issue. here's my current setup:

- 4GB Cowon D2 PMP (opens like traditional folder, no proprietary bs like apple)
- Songbird
- Foldersync addon for songbird (syncs selected folder in hdd to selected folder on my D2)

Everything here works fine currently, except one thing: deleting songs directly off the hdd from Songbird isn't implemented yet. Meaning I have to go through the folders to find the specific song I want to delete, then delete it; which is extremely annoying. I know I can create a shortcut to the folder with all my music, but I'd like to see if I can just right-click on a song in a certain media player, and delete the song from my hdd immediately.

I know for a fact that other media players do this, but then the question of syncing with my D2 comes into play. Any suggestions?

I like VLC (with its myriad additions and codecs from Synaptic Package Manager).

In addition to being able to play just about everything, it also allows you to record what you are playing, for example, an internet radio broadcast. I have used it to record The Metropolitan Opera Saturday afternoon broadcasts. (In View, make sure Advanced Controls is checked; you will then see the Record button.)

None of the other players I have tried (Amarok, Exaile, SMPlayer, Totem, Audacious, and a few others, the names of which do not come quickly to mind) allow direct and simple one-button recording.

I do not know about deleting music files or syncing to your player which is quite important to you. I suggest that you try VLC and see if it does what you want.

adobrakic
July 5th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I like VLC (with its myriad additions and codecs from Synaptic Package Manager).

In addition to being able to play just about everything, it also allows you to record what you are playing, for example, an internet radio broadcast. I have used it to record The Metropolitan Opera Saturday afternoon broadcasts. (In View, make sure Advanced Controls is checked; you will then see the Record button.)

None of the other players I have tried (Amarok, Exaile, SMPlayer, Totem, Audacious, and a few others, the names of which do not come quickly to mind) allow direct and simple one-button recording.

I do not know about deleting music files or syncing to your player which is quite important to you. I suggest that you try VLC and see if it does what you want.

I used VLC normally, but for videos only. I don't care too much about recording anything. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think simply trying to get VLC to sync with my D2 would be overly difficult.

Ah, Juk began working with the kubuntu-restricted-extras, but it was pretty inflexible; especially after i googled amarok plugins and realized how many there were for it. I have amarok configured pretty much like songbird, but I still cant find a way to delete songs from my harddrive through amarok. I tried searching on the website, but came up with nothing.

Bump on this. I'm still not able to delete directly from HDD, and I'm not too sure how to sync my D2 with Amarok. Any help?