PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape vs adobe Illustrator : your thoughts ??

patrick295767
March 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Inkscape vs adobe Illustrator : your thoughts ?
=====

What do you think about these two great concurrents ?

- Is Inkscape enough for you ? Enough for you ? Enough for computer graphics ?

Greetings,

Patrick

stuporglue
March 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I've only spent about 15 minutes in Illustrator, but use Inkscape all the time.

Inkscape rocks! It's a solid program that has a really good UI and still manages to be very powerfull. The mailing list is also very friendly and helpfull.

In you question "Enough for Computer Graphics?", It probably depends what kind of graphics you're looking for. The biggest mistake people make with Inkscape, is that they try to do things that would be best done in a raster image editor (like the Gimp). If you're looking for a graphic where SVG would be an appropriate creation media, then yes, it's probably good enough.

Check out the Inkscape showcase, and openclipart.org for examples of some stuff people have done in Inkscape.

OCAL -- mostly stuff done in Inkscape -- http://www.openclipart.org/
Inkscape showcase -- http://www.inkscape.org/showcase/index.php

Last note: Sometimes a feature you don't think exists is there, just not where you expect to find it. Once you see where it is, you realize that it's an obvious place...so if it can't do something you wish it could, just ask on the Inkscape list or something, it probably can.

Sirin
March 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't you be comparing Adobe Illustrator to Macromedia Fireworks? I mean come on, Inkscape is too simple to be compared to Illustrator. Try Sodipodi instead. ;)

drizek
March 30th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Inkscape is nice, but illustrator is more powerfull. I prefer inkscape for most things though because it is easier to use and less cluttered/bloated.

XaraLX pwnz though.

check it out, http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

K.Mandla
March 30th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I use Illustrator at work and Inkscape at home and for my purposes, there's no advantage to either. But that's just my $0.02.

findik1
April 29th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Inkscape is nice, but illustrator is more powerfull. I prefer inkscape for most things though because it is easier to use and less cluttered/bloated.

XaraLX pwnz though.

check it out, http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

Inkscape rocks for me. Do you really use all the "power" of adobe??!!!!

aysiu
April 29th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Don't forget Skencil

mrgnash
April 29th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Don't really like either of them. Illustrator is recondite and backwards, and Inkscape lacks optimization for some of the effects such as transparency and blur, resulting in severe slowdown. I think Xara thrashes the pants off both of them.

honeydew
April 29th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I would have to agree with mrgnash xara does w00p w00p!

Eric Layne
April 29th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Don't really like either of them. Illustrator is recondite and backwards, and Inkscape lacks optimization...

Recondite, maybe..especially if you're used to working with bitmaps. But I'm curious to know what makes Illy 'backward'.

And no, Inkscape is not sufficient. Trying to do prepress work with it would be impossible. Ditto for the Gimp. Adobe is widely recognized as the industry leader in this area.

Edit: The poll was closed early, why?

BuffaloX
April 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I would have to agree with mrgnash xara does w00p w00p!

Xara is extremely cool,
I did a loudspeaker design recently, and it took me less than 10 minutes.
Unfortunately when I reopened it, all measures were changed by about a factor 4?

I think the open sourcing of Xara is a very bold move, and I hope they will benefit from it greatly. :)

Adobe sucks!
just wanted that off my chest. :lolflag:

DoctorMO
April 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I've done the Barcode plugin for inkscape should be available next release, and a number of pdf export things. but as for creating images I use inkscape exclusively, they are trying to combine Xera, Sodipod and inkscape backends so they can each take advantage of Xera's rendering, Sodipods features and inkscapes svg support.

John Hughes
December 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
The shame of Sodipodi is that it isnt being developed anymore for awhile now =/

el_ricardo
December 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Shouldn't you be comparing Adobe Illustrator to Macromedia Fireworks? I mean come on, Inkscape is too simple to be compared to Illustrator. Try Sodipodi instead. ;)

fireworks is now owned by adobe, and besides, fireworks is aimed more at web based graphics, illustrator is aimed at print, and more commercial graphics. Inkscape is a fork of sodipodi too

Personally, for my more basic vector based work i use inkscape any day because its so simple to manipulate paths in it. for the more complex stuff inkscape just doesn't cut it, such as blending effects in CS3, bitmap tracing, and scripts

its much the same with photoshop and GIMP, I'm happy to use GIMP for simple photo retouching, but I could never do a full graphics project in it

I real contender to illustrator is xara extreme, its much better than inkscape, though some of the simplicity of inkscape is sacrificed

John Hughes
December 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I actually find that inkscape traces a bit better the illustrator without fiddling alot. While illustrator is powerful they just over complicate some things for the simpler tasks... I do use illustrator depending but it really comes down to certain things. For changing lineart to a vector based things (basically just trying to smooth out the larger lines etc.... I find that inkscape tends to be a nicer App.... I produced the same image as a vector in both Inkscape and illustrator and the Inkscape one seemed far more accurate with alot less fiddling...

It comes down to tastes , comfort levels, and certain tasks at hand...

SunnyRabbiera
December 26th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I like inkscape too, its possibly the best open source graphics app out there

macogw
December 26th, 2007, 01:20 AM
The only time I ever saw Illustrator I asked if it was like Inkscape. I was told it's basically closed-source Inkscape.

smartboyathome
December 26th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I like Inkscape too. I think of Illustrator as a closed source, advanced inkscape.