PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restoring old evolution files

loren41
July 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
In an attempt to restore my ubuntu 9.04 desktop to its original settings, I entered the following in Terminal:
rm - rf .gconf. gconfd .gnome .gnome2 .terminacity

and then reset.

The new desktop is cleaner, but now Evolution Setup Assistant wants me to reinstall. I don't think I have an archive file, so should I use the Assistant to install? Will I lose my mail, calendar and tasks if I do?

What if I just install version 9.1? Will it install using my old evolution files?

MechaMechanism
July 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Make a backup of the .evolution directory. Just right click the .evolution folder and select copy and paste wherever you want. This should create a backup. Now go ahead and do the setup wizard and see what happens. No luck? Then report back here.

loren41
July 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
When I right click .evolution, a window displays with three choices - add to bookmarks
- Show hidden files
- Show size column

loren41
July 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I was in search mode rather than the browser.:redface:

alterpinguin
July 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
if you cannot backup your
$home/.evolution
directory
then "mv" (move)
it to another !save place.
---
maybe rename it to:
my_old_evolution
-
then do a new install of evolution for your user.

After this, it creates a new .evolution directory
rename this to: new_clean_evolution
and rename your old... or better do copy (so you still save the original one)
cp -Rv my_old_evolution .evolution
-
that are commandlines you have to enter in a terminal, when you are in your home-directory ....(maybe lookup man-page for cp man cp)

loren41
July 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks Mecha for the quick response. It didn't click with me when I read that Evolution files are readable, therefore, subject to the usual file commands.