PDA

View Full Version : Hi I am new

lorrgibbs
July 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hi I am new to computers. My son is teaching me how to use Ubuntu Net Book. I have just done a course on Windows and found it confusing. I thought I would come here for help to keep using this. Thought I would introduce myself. Thanks , Lorraine.

BenAshton24
July 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu forums :)

Shakz
July 2nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the adventure. I just gave my dad an old laptop with an ubuntu based distro on it and he LOVES it!

bigsmitty64
July 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
@Lorrgibbs and zico82,

Welcome to the forums. If you stick with it, you'll love it. HERE'S (http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html) a guide I have found to be quite helpful. It's free to download, (like most everything with linux :)) Don't be shy about asking questions, you'll be amazed at how many extremely knowledgeable people are willing to help in this community! Good luck!
Smitty

Theft42
July 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Welcome. I am somewhat new to Ubuntu myself but I can definitely tell you its an amazing OS. The community is amazing and very Helpful. So any questions and we will help to the best of our Knowledge.:D

cespinal
July 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Welcome aboard!...I wish you a pleasant stay

tgalati4
July 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
As I told my 85-year-old father-in-law, the keyboard is simply a typewriter and an adding machine mashed together. But they still didn't have enough keys so they added a row of Funtion Keys (F1-F12) at the top. And yet they needed one more key to get the heck out of what ever they were doing, so they added the "escape" key.

Welcome and if my father-in-law can check his email regularly, then you can certainly learn Ubuntu.

fatality_uk
July 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
AGGGGhhhhhh!!!! NEWBIES!!!

Welcome all. :)

lorrgibbs
July 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone and thanks for the book download it will be useful

NMFTM
July 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Why don't the mods lock threads like this? Or at the very least, move them into the recurring discussions area. This forum has 1,104,826 members, of which 57,348 are considered active. Which, I think means they've logged in at least once in the last month. If every active user posted an introductory thread we'd be so buried in useless threads that you'd have to spend minutes scrolling through all of them to find something that was actually a legitimate conversation.

If people want to ask a specific question, fine. That's what the forums are here for. But these "hey, I'm new here and just started using Ubuntu" threads serve no useful purpose. I know that this is a friendly and supportive community, which is one of the reasons why many people like Ubuntu. But you can be friendly while also not encouraging 'newbish' behavior.

EDIT: I didn't realize this previously. Probably because I never felt the urge to formally introduce myself. But apparently the forums do have an official introduction (http://%22http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1451097) thread. Which, makes me even more perplexed as to why threads like these aren't' locked.

philinux
July 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Why don't the mods lock threads like this? .

Because this is the cafe. And we encourage and support newcomers.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1451097

Specific questions should go in the appropriate forum.

bigsmitty64
July 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
;)

BenAshton24
July 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Why don't the mods lock threads like this? Or at the very least, move them into the recurring discussions area. This forum has 1,104,826 members, of which 57,348 are considered active. Which, I think means they've logged in at least once in the last month. If every active user posted an introductory thread we'd be so buried in useless threads that you'd have to spend minutes scrolling through all of them to find something that was actually a legitimate conversation.

If people want to ask a specific question, fine. But these "hey, I'm new here and just started using Ubuntu" threads serve no useful purpose. I know that this is a friendly and supportive community, which is one of the reasons why many people like Ubuntu. But you can be friendly while also not encouraging 'newbish' behavior.

It's the community café...

This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments.
I'd say that encompasses introductory threads.

;)
lol xD

NightwishFan
July 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Welcome and enjoy your stay. I know you will like Ubuntu.

SoFl W
July 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Welcome Lorraine!

Glad to hear you are learning new things. Everyone here is friendly enough so ask away with any questions.

pricetech
July 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu and the Forums.

Lensman
July 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Welcome, Lorraine! As you no doubt observed, like in all of life, one has to occasionally suffer fools. The good news is that they are far outnumbered by the helpful and caring people here. You are discovering what I consider to be the best operating system yet and I hail from a time when calculators didn't even exist! Remember, have fun.

tgalati4
July 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
We were all newbies once.

And for that, Lorraine gets a:

Bump.

v1ad
July 2nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Why don't the mods lock threads like this?

you with your 18 posts should learn Ubuntu forums more before you rage. this is a community not a business. friendly behavior is pleasant and makes the forums so much more enjoyable.

And Welcome To Ubuntu.

NMFTM
July 3rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
Because this is the cafe. And we encourage and support newcomers.
Sure, but if newcomers want to post introductions why not do it in the official thread? Isn't that why it's there? If not, what's the point in even having it?

If I made a thread called "Firefox vs Chrome: which is better" it would be moved away from the main community discussion form and into recurring discussions. So that people wouldn't have to read through the same threads over and over again. Even though the utility of the thread, even if it's just rehashing something that's already been hashed hundreds of times is higher than just a single person stating "Hi, I'm new" to which everyone else responds "Hey, welcome to the forums". At least the Firefox vs Chrome thread might accomplish something because new features might have been added to both browsers since the last clone thread was posted.

So, if threads like those are moved into recurring discussions because it's theorized that people don't want to read through them over and over again. Why are threads like this not as well?

you with your 18 posts should learn Ubuntu forums more before you rage.
I've been on these forums for years. I just occasionally make new names because it's the Internet, I like to remain as anonymous as possible, it only takes up one more entry in the forum database, and it makes it harder for people who I may not be friends with anymore who might remember my old name to keep up with new stuff that I'm posting. You don't have to believe me, I'm just saying.

NightwishFan
July 3rd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Contrary to popular rumors this is my only account. :)

steveneddy
July 3rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
Well then, look at the links in my sig.